Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Spice Model to Multisim

Hello,

I want to import a spice model for analog switch by TI with the file extentions *.ibs  or  *.sp , but the Multisim Model Maker accept only *.cir  files.
How can I use existent models from a semiconducter e.g. by TI, in Multisim?

Thank you for your assistance
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(39,407 Views)
Abkai,

The .ibs fiel is likely an IBIS model which Multisim does not support (IBIS models is used for I/O characterization, rather than functional modeling). You need a SPICE model which is probably contained in the readable .sp file.

First, you need to find and extract the actual SPICE circuit for the model from this file. The model will likely be a subcircuit.  Thus it will be enclosed by the .subckt and .ends SPICE statements.

Second, you need to create a Multisim component that uses this SPICE model. Go to tools->component wizard for this operation. At the model step, paste the subcircuit model into the text area.

Max
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(39,394 Views)
Max, I was looking for some more details on how to use component wizard to import a SPICE netlist to Multisim...I got the piece about pasting the netlist into the text area in the appropriate step, but component wizard asks for other things of which I'm unsure. I did my best to guess, but when I insert the component (an LM386 Audio Amplifier), my simulation does not work, so obviously, I did something wrong. Can you point me to some resource/tutorial that explains this in more detail?

Thanks!

Message Edited by yostsa on 11-01-2007 12:05 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(39,071 Views)
Hi, please check the Creating a Custom Component in Multisim tutorial, it will explain step by step how to create the component and along the way it will perhaps clarify any doubt you  may have about this process.
Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(38,850 Views)
Nestor,

Thanks for your reply...I had found this link shortly after I posted here...ity was very helpful...

sy
Message 5 of 8
(38,836 Views)

Hi Max

I have the same challenge and was set wondering why there are few or no .cir files on the NI site (all .MOD or .txt) and yet MULTISIM, which seams very good by the way, only accepts .cir files. Max do you have an answer to this please? This appeares to be a restriction to selecting your parts for simulation and subsequent build.

Adrian

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(35,443 Views)

Hi Adrian,

The basic answer is NI doesn't make models for vendor components. That is usually done by the manufacturer, and many of them have models on their website. Nestor has summarized on the forum some of the places where active users of Multisim/Ultiboard are posting components/parts that they've created. You can also find a number of links to vendor models on the NI website.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(35,393 Views)
I have looked everywhere for a compatible Spice file for various components, but for some I can only find .lib, .sp2, .sp3, and .sin files (ON Semiconductor, MJL4302A for example). Unfortunately, Multisim seems to only accept .cir, .dll, .v, or .vx files. Is there a way to get these components into Multisim?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(34,654 Views)