Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to put holes to solder wires

Hello

I've been designing a circuit, but I do not know how to put terminals (just holes to soldering a wire later), I've tried the test points but that's it only test points but I cannot find any terminal or hole for soldering a wire (----0), what can I do to do this? is there any way to do that or there is no such component in Multisim ( I have 10.1 version). So far I have a couple connectors HDR1X2 but I do not want that the circuit board builder thinks that is a connector, do you know what I mean?

I have another problem, I have in my design a couple 100K ohms resistors for an Op. amp. and I have another 100kohm resistor for other part of the circuit, the first 2 100kohms resistors are metal film at 1% tolerance but the other one is just carbon film at 5%, the problem is when I input data in user fields of the device properties and every time I change one the other automatically change or copy the same data, how can I input different user fields without change the other ones?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,853 Views)

Hi there,

The user fields shown in your resistor properties are set on a database level. These settings not only influence all 100k resistors on your schematic, but all other schematics that you will open in the future as well. There are two ways to change this behaviour to suite your needs.

1. You can copy resistors that you need to your user database. For each resistor that you copy, you can set manufacturer's part number, supplier, etc. This is advantageous in that you only have to modify one part in your database in the event that the manufacturer decides to obsolete a part.
  2. You can use the Attributes table to set custom attributes on a part to part basis. You can find this table by double clicking on the resistor and clicking on the Label tab.

I am not sure what the requirements of your wire solder terminal is. By the sound of it, you can use a testpoint and place some text to indicate to the builder your intentions. Please elaborate a little if possible.

Hope that helps.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,837 Views)

Thank you yyao for your kind reply.

I learned something today thanks to you.

About the terminals, that mean that Multisim has no terminal connections for wires? As you know I used couple connectors HDR1X2 to represent those terminals where a wire will be soldered once the board is finished and as you said I use the user field to let the builder know is a terminal and not a connector.

By the way do you have the Multisim model for the mosfet Hexfet FQPF50N06L?

Thank you again for your reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,830 Views)

I don't know of any component in Multisim which does exactly what you want for wire connection holes. I suppose you can create a new Ultiboard component and provide the appropriate through hole diameter and assembly instructions for your builder. There is a tutorial on how to do this here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5631. It goes into a lot of detail, but you probably won't need most of it for a simple wire hole. Once you've done that, you can copy the test point components from the master database to your user database and customize it by linking it to your own footprint.

We don't have a simulation model for the FQPF50N06L. However, there seems to be a similar FET, FQP50N06L, which Fairchild has SPICE models to. The product page is here: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/FQ/FQP50N06L.html. You can request to download the SPICE model by clicking on the Electrical/Thermal link in the Models section of the page. There is a tutorial on how to create your own Multisim components here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3173.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,823 Views)