cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a rectangular pth pad

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to make a rectangular pth pad. Dimensions: 100mils x 60mils with a centered 42mils hole. I have searched the forum, help in Ultiboard to no avail...

Ultiboard version 11.0.2...

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks and best regards,

Jean

Best regards,

Jean
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,913 Views)
Solution
Accepted by jcayer

Here are the basic steps...

1.  Go to the Ultiboard Database Manager (Tools -> Database -> Database Manager)

2. In the Filter dropdown select 'Custom Pad Shape'

3. Hit the 'Create New Part' icon

Steps 2 & 3 shown below:

newpadshape.JPG

4.Select the part to Create, select ->  Custom Pad Shape and hit 'Ok'...

5. In the edit window, select Place -> Shape -> Rectangle   (and hold mouse button and drag to place a rectangle)

6. Highlight the rectangle and enter the exact dimensions required in the properties box (shown below).   Use X1 and Y1 to center the pad.

rectanglepadproperties.JPG

Save this pad shape to the Database (File -> Save to Database)

7. NOW - Create your desired part with 42 mil holes.   (Use the Part Wizard, Tools -> Part Wizard  *OR* you can create a PCB Part similar to the method of creating part above).   You are only given the choice of using standard TH pads or SMT pads - this is fine as in the next step you will 'swap out' the standard pad for the new pad.

as an example...

standardholepad_before.JPG

8. Swap out pads.... When your part is complete with the round TH pads, highlight the TH pad(s) as needed and right-click to get the properties.  (You must be sure the select pads selection filter is enabled (5th one in)).   Go to the 'Pad' tab and select 'Custom' and choose the rectangular pad you previously created...

editing_pad_shape.JPG

9.  Complete this for any of the holes you needed and save (or resave) the updated part (shape) to the database.

standardholepad_after.JPG

10.  Place your PCB component as needed....

Regards,

Pat Noonan

National Instruments

Message 2 of 7
(5,905 Views)

Hi Pat,

Thank you for a fast answer. It works perfectly !!! Smiley Happy

BUT may I suggest that NI should add the option of placing a rectangular pad just like we can chose round, square or rounded square pads.

Thanks again !!!

Best regards,

Jean
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,896 Views)

Jean,

Agreed - rectangular is relatively standard (and could actually be a superset of 'square') so I am in agreement with your feature request.   I'll pass it along to R&D and they will need to prioritize it along with the other requests we have pending.

Regards,

Pat Noonan

Message 4 of 7
(5,894 Views)

Dear Sirs,

I have created some parts with square pads, but also I want make square tracks.

How can I make the square track?

When I place a track, it connects to the pad ending with rounded track.

Is it possible to make a square track?

I'll be waiting for your notices.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Javier

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,692 Views)

This is the problem I have with the track.

How I can solve this?

I would like to know if there are any option to make squared tracks to join square pads.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,673 Views)

Hi Jagonga,

I would recommend you create a new post because this thread has been inactive for a long time. With this, you will have a better chance to get helpful inputs from the community.

Regards,

AGJ

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,622 Views)