From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export my custom pad shapes for backup purpose.

Hi,

Recently I have to backup my "user database components". In Mutisim, I found an option to export the components in a ".prz" file that can be imported again.

All components from Multisim are exported and imoprted back nicely along with their foot prints but "Custom PAD shapes" are not exported from ultiboard.  I was assuming that Multisim and Ultiboard both have the same common database. Is there any export / import option that can be used to export foot prints from Ultiboard for backup purpose? I am looking for some thing like .prz file etc. instead of making a copy of  ".usr" file for backup.

Thanks and regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,220 Views)

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your post. Multisim and Ultiboard share the same database. Usually you need to map the footprint to your symbol before you can export them completely.

For example, after you have created the custom pad shapes and saved it to the database by File>> Save to Database, you need also go to Multisim Database by selecting Tools>>Database>> Database Manager. In the Database Manager select the components tab. Under the Database Name, select the User Database. Select the component that you wish to add the footprint and click on the Edit button.

In the Component Properties dialog box click on the Footprint tab. Click on the Add from Database button. In the Select a Footprint dialog box select the User Database.

Capture.PNG

To add the footprint, click on the Add button then you will see the Add a Footprint dialog window. In the Field Name, the Footprint and Ultiboard Footprint  are all CASE SENSITIVE field, and they must identify the footprint exactly as it is save in your Ultiboard

Capture2.PNG

Click on the OK button and then you will see your pad can now be previewed within the dialog box. Click on the select button to select the newly added item and save the component settings. 

Now the symbol and the custom footprint you created are associated together and now you can export them as ".prz" file for backup.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,197 Views)

Smiley Happy

Hi Chen_t,

Thanks a lot for detailed answer.

I always do the same as you described. I was just curious about custom PAD shapes. Recently I have lost all of them. I exported the components from Multisim to a .prz file and assumed that everything was exported but when imported them back, Custom PAD shapes were absent. Any way I have created them again with little effort. 

Well, on this board, would you please clarify me the following things? ( Please tell me if I've to start a new post for this).

1. I have a custom foot print in Ultiboard (let say it "IC_14 PIN") and associated some components with it in Multisim (let say them IC_A, IC_B and IC_C etc.). Now if I make some changes in footprint through Ultiboard database manager, would these changes be automatically updated in associated components in Multisim or I have to do it manually?
  2. I ‘m using a component in my design (both in Multisim and Ultiboard). Now if I make some changes in footprint or symbol of this component, how would it be updated in my designs? Would “Tools>Update Shapes” command of Ultiboard and "Tools>Update Components on Sheet" do well enough for this? Please tell me the procedure
  3. Does exporting the components from Multisim to a .prz file means exportation of all selected components along with foot prints?
  4. Which one is batter for backup of database? Copying the .user file or exporting the components to a .prz file?  . I have a lot of confusion about these points.

Thanks and regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,067 Views)