10-11-2011 04:26 AM
I want to create a component (shielding box) wich goes over other components, and I don't want DRC errors.
Can I switch of DRC errors for one component or ????
I use V11.01 power pro.
Solved! Go to Solution.
10-13-2011 10:13 AM
You can create your own component with only pins and 3D-Info top layer information (without silkscreen shape info, maybe only text).
To do that follow these guideline steps (i might be missing something in the middle but this should give you an idea):
- Go to Tools/Database/Database Manager
- Create new PCB part under the user database
- This will open a new footprint page. In there, include all your pins (Place/pins) and 2D shapes IN THE "3D-Info Top" layer
- In the 2D shape properties (that you just inserted) you can go to the 3D data tab and add offset heights and create 3D shapes
- Once you're done go to file/save to database as
- In your original project you can include this part and it should not give you DRC errors if it is placed correctly, to make sure go to the 3D view and take a look at it
Hope this helps.
Product Marketing Enginer, NI
06-07-2012 12:19 PM
What if the part is not simply a 3D part. For example, I may want to put a capacitor or resistor within the footprint of a large IC socket. I'd like both the capacitor and the socket to have silkscreen, pads...
06-07-2012 12:52 PM
You can overlap these 2 components, you just need to disable the part shoving under Design>Part Shoving
Once you place both components a DRC error will be generated, for that right click on the error and click "Add to Filter" so that Ultiboard knows these specific 2 components are allowed to be placed on top of each other. Check the image attached image.
Please post your next question in a new thread to guarantee someone gets back to you on time.
06-12-2012 10:29 PM
My experience is if I add an error to the filter it disables reporting for all of that type of error, not just that specific error instance.
This pretty much makes error filters useless. It would be great if as you say it only added the specific error instance to the filter.
I always just live with the errors and remember which ones are OK, so I don't miss another instance which might actually be a real error.
Am I wrong, or has this changed recently?
06-13-2012 09:01 AM
You are correct about the error filter, there's no way that Ultiboard would understand that an error instance is specific for 2 components only.
In that case, you'd better leave the design with a DRC error that you are aware of.
Let me know if you have other questions,