Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create model of OnSemiconductors NCP1653 PFC controller?

Hi all,

I'm undergrad EE trying to simulate a PFC boost converter prior to the hardware build for a power electronics class.  Want to use a NCP1653 PFC controller, but model does not exist in Multisim.

I downloaded the ISPICE model from On's website and from that obtained the netlist.  I tried to make a model in Multisim by editing an existing component (as per a YouTube video) and pasted the netlist into the 'model data box'.  When trying to run a transient analysis I get 7 errors and 14 warnings of varying types shown below.

Attached is the netlist copied from the ISPICE model.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry if I am not following some sort of ettiquette by including all of the error messages.

Thanks,

Chris

------ Checking SPICE netlist for NCP1653_test_fig42 - Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 7:03:21 PM ------
SPICE Netlist Error, element 'ncp1653__pfc__2:': Incomplete model/subckt definition 'ncp1653__pfc__2'
SPICE Netlist Error, element 'ncp1653__pfc__2': Incomplete definition of model/subckt 'ncp1653__pfc__2'
SPICE Netlist Error, element '<unknown>': Due to errors, the subckt definition 'ncp1653__pfc__2' will be omitted from the simulation
SPICE Netlist Error in schematic RefDes 'u1', element 'xu1': Invalid subckt definition name 'ncp1653__pfc__2'
SPICE Netlist Error in schematic RefDes 'u1', element '<unknown>': Due to errors, the subckt instance 'xu1' will be omitted from the simulation
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'fb:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown component parameter 'csout', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'fb:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown component parameter 'drv', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Error, element 'fb:ncp1653__pfc__2': Element 'csin' referenced in this component does not exist in scope
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hd:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nset_delay', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hd:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nreset_delay', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hd:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nset_load', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hd:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nreset_load', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hdx7:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nset_delay', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hdx7:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nreset_delay', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hdx7:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nset_load', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hdx7:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nreset_load', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Error, element 'latch_hdx7': Redefinition of subckt 'latch_hdx7'. Second definition ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hdx7:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nset_delay', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hdx7:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nreset_delay', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hdx7:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nset_load', this parameter will be ignored.
SPICE Netlist Warning, element 'dff_001:latch_hdx7:ncp1653__pfc__2': Unknown model parameter 'nreset_load', this parameter will be ignored.
======= SPICE Netlist check completed, 7 error(s), 14 warning(s) =======

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,612 Views)

So apparently ISPICE models (Intusoft software) have a proprietary netlist syntax and to move a model into multisim requires changing the netlist accordingly.  Is there a resource available which explains this process?  Can anyone help with this?

Many thanks,

Chris 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,571 Views)

Hi Chris,

If you download a SPICE manual, it will explain how the SPICE netlist syntax. For example, a resistor is define by this line:

R1 1 2 1K

The first letter is R which is reserved for a resistor, the number "1" after is just the reference ID for that resistor. The next two numbers represent the nodes the resistor is connected to, in this case node 1 and 2. The last value is the reistor value 1Kohm.

The page provides syntax information

http://www.eecg.utoronto.ca/~martin/spice/index.html

I've glance through the netlist and this model have digital parts likely created in HDL. Anything starting with an A is a digital part which and it can't be embedded in SPICE model. You have to build the circuit from the netlist.

From what I can tell, this is a flip flop

A1 50 50 41 42 32 31 DFF_001 ; HDL Flip-Flop

This a an inverter

A3 40 41 INV_001

This looks like some sort of signal translator to allow analog signal to translate to digital. You don't need this in Multisim because we do it automatically when you connect a digital to analog component.

A6 [4] [40] A2D_001

This line is digtal to analog and again you don't need this in Mutlisim.

A9 [32] [6] D2A_001

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,522 Views)