From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Kmap don't care conditions

Solved!
Go to solution

I need help on this problem i was stuck the whole day..

My assignment is to design a octal to 7 segment common cathode decoder.

You are to assume that only octal digits 2 to 7 are applied to the inputs of the decoder, i.e. combination for digits 0 and 1 are never applied.

I have fill up my truth table..

TRUTH TABLE.png

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

When i tried to set input for A it lights up when 1 is switch on?

I just wanted it to show 2,3,4,5,6,7 digits only

What's the purpose don't care conditions?

template.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,500 Views)

Hi there,

Because you only need to show 2 to 7, therefore "don't care" means the decoder output abcdefg does not matter when 0 or 1 is switch on.

When you use the Kmap to simply the logic, just treat the don't care "x" as 1 to simplify the map.

Regards,

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(9,483 Views)

what i actually meant was that when switch 1 and 0 is turn on, there will be no display since i wanted 2 to 7 digits output to be shown only..

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(9,470 Views)

If you want no display when switch 1 and 0 is turned on, then treat "x" as 0 to simply the map.

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,464 Views)

Then what is the point of don't care condition for this case?

Is it because i have the choice to pick either 1 or 0 but i taught don't care condition is to simplify more further?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(9,461 Views)

Yes, "don't care" is to simplify more further. But you said previously that you don't wanna 1 or 0 displayed, so you  need to treat "x" as 0 to simply the map which means you do care the "x" to be 0 now.

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(9,452 Views)

Can you tell if the picture below is correct? I tried to implement the least gates possible.. But it doesn't looks right to me..

Set to 0.

original - Copy.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(9,391 Views)
Solution
Accepted by trigon91

Hi there,

Right now your input is "0 0 0" which means "don't care", just ignore the pattern you see right now. Make sure the rest from 2 to 7 works.

Regards,

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(9,365 Views)