From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fourier and distortion analysis

I am analyzing harmonic distortion component in an output voltage of a circuit using both Fourier analysis and distortion analysis in Multisim 12 and I realize that the magnitude and phase given by both of the analyses are different. The magnitude and phase from distortion analysis is much smaller than the result from Fourier analysis and I suspect that it has been normalized. Is this true? If so, how has it been normalized?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,994 Views)

Hi there,

I saw this post has been here for half a year, I was wondering if your problem has already been solved. If not, I will help you to figure it out.

Regards,

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,349 Views)

Hi. I suspect that the distortion analysis in MULTISIM does not support ABM source. Is that true?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,343 Views)

Hi there,

We do support the distortion analysis with the ABM source in Multisim 13.01.

Regards,

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,339 Views)

To me, both of the provided samples (and their Help File descriptions) suggest that the "Distortion Analysis" is seriously flawed!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,667 Views)

@gmack wrote:

To me, both of the provided samples (and their Help File descriptions) suggest that the "Distortion Analysis" is seriously flawed!

Then please provide details instead of some generic statement.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,665 Views)

See second plot in "Distortion Analysis for Harmonic Distortion" and third plot in "Distortion Analysis for Intermodulation Distortion" Help Files.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,662 Views)

You need to be more specific about what you consider flaws. Don't just point to plots.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,656 Views)

Distortion levels appear to be on the order of 30dB - compare that to the Fourier Analysis results (which appear to be much more reasonable)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,653 Views)

So, what's next?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,590 Views)