Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRC: Net close to copper

I'm attempting to use a connector footprint that I made that includes four throughhole pads, and two holes for plastic securing pins.    When I attach a net to the pads next to one of the holes, the resulting trace generates a DRC.  The complete DRC description is "Copper objects close to unconnected copper objects".  

The trace carries high current at high voltage and is fat (50mils).  The DRC error occurs when I make the trace clearance larger than the default (say 20mils).  At the default (10mils), it does not occur.

When I delete the offending hole in the footprint, the DRC goes away.  If I make the hole radius very small, the DRC also goes away.  

I've checked to make sure that the hole isn't accidentally plated through.  Thus, I don't see how the hole can have any copper and generate this error.

The board I'm working on has two layers, and has no ground or power planes.

Any suggestions?

Joel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,758 Views)

Hi Joel,

This message might be a bit strange but this is what pops up when a hole is too close to the trace. My suggestion is that you reduce the clearance of the trace. Go to View >> Clearences to see how the current clearances look. You can reduce it so that the actual hole is not comming in the clearance for the trace. This should remove the error.

The second thing which could be causing the problem is the clearance of the pin. You can try to reduce that as well to make this error go away.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,743 Views)

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,742 Views)