Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating round shape part in Ultiboard

Hello, I just purchased Multisim Blue Premium edition V14. I am able to create schematic symbols no problem, but when creating a custom footprint in Ultiboard, I am having a problem. My part is an oddball part and there is no similar footprint in the library so I am trying to create my own. My part is a gas sensor and it is a TH part, large cylinder shape. It is circular and about .7 inches tall.

I used the part wizard and at no time was there an option for circular part, but I know it must be possible for things like caps and transitors. I am attaching some image to illustrate my problem. The first image shows my part in Ultiboard. The second image shows the part in 3D view and it is clearly rectangle shape. Can someone please tell me how to correct this? Also, how do I add a reference designator?

Thanks

partshape1.jpgpartshape2.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,760 Views)

As an example of the round shape part I am trying to get, see image below. The white colored part is cylinder shape.

partshape3.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,739 Views)

Hi,

To get the best 3D and silk screen, tou need to draw these yourself.

The silkscreen is easy, just erase the square and drwa a circle where you need it 

for the 3D, you need to check the box of the '3D-info top' layer.

there you will see all objects defining the 3D. 

adding shapes there, you will be able to make an acceptable 3D image.

for each shape you place you can also change height, color, etc...

and in the general 3D tab, you can alos change the pins...

I think there must be a page in the knowledge database about it...

Succes!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,495 Views)

Not sure I follow what you mean. In Ultiboard I can click part properties and this is what I get. See image.

partshape4.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,487 Views)

Okay, I think I got it worked out. I found another way to create parts not using the wizard. Problem I am still having though is my grid snap is not quite right, and I could not get the ruler bar to work for me. Here is a screen shot.

partshape5.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,474 Views)

I guess I should have mentioned how I ended up getting this to work. I found a tutorial and followed it step by step. The tutorial was for a square part but I just made a circular part instead. I had not realized I could make parts without the wizard. Here is the link if anyone else is interested.

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/5631/en/

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,462 Views)

Yes indeed,

You can make parts without the wizard,

The wizzard gives you the advantage of automation of pin placement an package size.

For square and rectangular shapes of chips, it works perfectly.

When using the wizzard for other parts, you have to abuse of these automatic pin placing functions to get the pins right,

and afterwards you use the 3D layer to get teh outline in 3D correct (and also the silk and so on.)

especially when the pins are not centered in the parts outline...

One more tip; in the properties of the part (attributes, refdes) you can also change the text that will be put in your silkscreen...

succes!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,439 Views)