From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a simple transformer

If I had a transformer with the following spec,

• 1500 turns primary
  • 750 turns secondary
  • an effective core iron reisstance of 2kohms
  • a primary and secondary winding resistance of 0.02ohms per turn.
  • the source on the priamry side is 100 V a.c

Is it possible to find the power loss under no load condition and then find the regulation factor with a 500ohm resistor connected across the secondary terminal? I have calculated the answer for both questions but it would be nice to prove my answer is correct. The question doesn’t state anything about the transformer inductance.

regards

Stimpo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,594 Views)

Hi there,

I recommend you start off with the "1P1S" component under Basic/TRANSFORMER family in the database. Set the windings exactly as you have specified (1500 primary and 750 secondary, or simply 2:1). This will give you an ideal, 2-winding transformer (no losses, perfect coupling, no core inductance).

You can then build-up on this model by using some of the advanced options in the 1P1S component,  or simply by adding external components like resistors to represent coil resistance (if in series with the coil) or core loss (if in parallel with the coil). 

Thanks,

Max
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,460 Views)