From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Ground Plane?

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello, Im trying to create a ground plane for a project im working on. I seen a power plane button but thats giving me problems because I cant edit it. I have my components layed out and all the traces in place. How do I create a ground plane and edit it. I couldnt figure out how to add any traces after its in place or deleting any copper. Any help would be greatly appriceated. Thanks Kevin
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(8,000 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kevilay

kevilay,

There are basically 2 ways to do a copper plane.  The one you are describing is basically a copper 'pour' - (Place -> Poweplane...) and this fills the entire plane (minus traces/pads) with a copper region attached to a specific net.  It can void - meaning it will not cover existing traces and you can place traces after the copper plane is placed.  Also you can remove copper islands, and you should be able to select it (make sure the copper area selection filter is on).  I have confirmed this for Ultiboard v11.

The other method is for a polygon shaped area (you manually specify the vertices) - this is called the Copper Area (Place -> Copper Area).  Similar to the powerplane it can be attached to a net and can also void (by default voiding is enabled - and you can edit the other properties to specify other characteristics) and therefore you can place traces with other net assignments within and through the plane (and they will automatically have a clearance around them).  You can also change the Copper Area shape and delete it.

Is there something I have described about you'd like to do but cannot?  Which version are you using?

Regards,

Pat Noonan

National Instruments

Message 2 of 3
(7,988 Views)

I got it all working now, thanks for the help

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(7,952 Views)