cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert v 10 data base to v11

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm unable to convert and merge a v10.1 user database to v11.  I made a backup copy of Usrcomp_S.usr to another folder in Windows then used the convert and merge tools from both Multisim and Ultiboard. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Tools>Database>Convert Database..

2. Select Source Database Names from the popup dialog.

3. Navigate to the database using the Windows file dialog. Select my database copy using "All Files". Oddly it did not show up using the default filter. Select OK then receive the following error:

The database path: "database\UsrComp_S.usr" was not found or not set.
Do you want to select the path where the component database can be found?

4. Select Yes then select my now visible database from the resulting Windows dialog.

5. Press Start to convert my database using Auto Rename. Something happens briefly that appears to be conversion and the convert window shows Done

6. Close the convert window and open Tools>Database>Merge Database..

7. Select a Component Database Name

8.Repeat step 3 above. The supposedly converted database is still not visible only this time there is no option for "All Files". From the File name drop down box I can select the previously used path to the database copy. Select Open and receive the following error:

The database path: "database\UsrComp_S.usr" was not found or not set.
Do you want to select the path where the component database can be found?

9. Select Yes then select my now visible database from the resulting Windows dialog.

10. Press Open and receive the following error:

Error: Failed to open the database [User Database].
The file format/version does not match, and cannot be merged.
If the database is from an earlier version, use Convert Database.

Please help. This should be a simple one button process to import user parts from a previous version.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,408 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RichardJennings

Hi Richard,

I think you are trying to convert the wrong database. From the name you specified (Usrcomp_S.usr), that is just a template CDS uses to create a user database, it is not your user database.

On Windows XP, the user database is located at C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name>\Application Data\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite\11.0\database\

On Windows Vista/7, the user database is located in  C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\National Instruments\11.0\database\

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,402 Views)

Excellent! Thank you. That solved it, and doing the convert also did the merge or import into v11. Seems like a screwy, hidden place to put the user database though. Is it obvious from within the application where this is stored?

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,396 Views)

Hi Richard,

I agree the naming is a little odd, but convert leave the original unchanged. It convert and merges the information into the destination database.

You can see the database locations in Multisim/Ultiboard. Select Options > Global Preferences, then select the Paths tab. You will see the locations for all the databases. The help also tells you the location. Multisim help was reorganized in 11.0 - the new location in the help is Components and Database > Archiving Data > Backing up the User Database

The location might seem unusual, but it is on purpose.

1. The database needs to be in a user specific writable location to follow Windows Vista guidelines
  2. The database shouldn't be easy to accidentally delete (so the My Documents folder is not an option)
Garret
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,393 Views)

Thanks Garret,

Import may be a better name than convert 🙂

The database location is listed in the Paths tab and when searching help for "database". However, the help link provided by the convert dialog does not provide location information. Shame on me for thinking it would be in the database folder with the extension .usr

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,390 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

I've created several bugs from your comments so that we can improve the help and avoid confusion with a what I agree is a file with a very tempting file name

Garret
National Instruments

Message 6 of 6
(4,388 Views)