Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert database

Solved!
Go to solution

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I am trying to migrate the corporate database from Multisim 9 to Multisim 10.

From the multisim 10 menu, I went to Tools -> Database -> Convert Database. I selected the source database (from multisim 9) and clicked start.

The conversion went pretty fast and I closed the screen, but when I tried to merge the converted database, multisim gave the error: "Not a valid password" 

I performed the operation on the user database and got the same error as well.

Any ideas?

OS is Win Vista SP2, Multisim Power Pro v 9.0.155 and Mutisim Power Pro v 10.1

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,812 Views)

Hi Chipmaster:

Have a look in the user or corporate database. Convert Database converts that database then merges the data into your user or corporate database, depending on what you selected.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(6,808 Views)

Unfortunately, there was no change in number of components in either of the corporate or user databases.

My previous corporate database had 1591 components, none of which was imported into multisim 10.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(6,798 Views)

I'm just taking a guess here, but is it possible that components with the same name already exist in the corporate database and you've selected to ignore duplicate components?

Garret
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(6,795 Views)

That wasn't the case. The corporate database in multisim 10 currently has 173 components while the one I'm trying to import has 1591 (no duplication whatsoever)

Neither of the 3 available options (rename, overwrite or ignore) for handling component duplication during database conversion worked.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(6,785 Views)

In this case, I think the best thing is to either post the database here we I can give it a try, or to contact technical support for more assistance.

Garret
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(6,776 Views)

Attached in the corporate database from multisim 9 that I was unable to import into multisim 10.

Thanks for your assistance. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(6,739 Views)

I've had a look at the database, and there are only 5 components in the DB, all SSM2*. You may be trying to convert the wrong database (or you've sent me the wrong one). 😉

In v9, check in Options > Global Preferences on the Paths tab. There should be path to the corporate database. Check that you're trying to convert the correct one.

Garret
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(6,708 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chipmaster

I found what the problem was! It was the freaking User Access Control (UAC) of windows VISTA that was responsible for my headache:smileymad:

When I ran multisim 9 as an administrator (right-clicked on multisim icon and selected "run as administrator"), I only saw 5 components just like you did, but when I ran it without admin privileges I saw all 1411 components :smileysurprised:

So I ran multisim 9 without admin privileges and exported the all components to a temporary directory. I then reopened multisim with admin privilege and reimported the components back to my corporate database. After that, I was able to use the convert database tool in multisim 10 to import all the components.  

Garret, I cannot thank you enough for the assistance provided. Thank you so much.

Message 9 of 12
(6,679 Views)

I use data loader for migrating almost any data, it helps me to convert MSSQL to MYSQL, MS access to MSSQL, mysql, csv loader, foxpro and MSSQL to MS access, MYSQl, CSV, foxpro etc. In my view this is a best Data Migration Tool 

Download Free : http://www.dbload.com

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(6,355 Views)