From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a foot print in Ultiboard

Can you change a footprint in Ultiboard 13?

If so how do you do it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,066 Views)

Hello Gregary,

Here I share you some documents that hopefully can orient you to get started with this:

How Do I Modify A Footprint From The Ultiboard Master Database
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8A20C35B155A5F3086257806006040BE?OpenDocument

Creating a Custom Component in NI Ultiboard
http://www.ni.com/tutorial/5631/en/

Regards,

>>Daniel C.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,046 Views)

Thanks Daniel. It is not quite what I was after.

All I want to do is change a foot print to another one in the database. Not create a new one or edit an existing one.

The problem is, if I right click on a component and get the properties dialog up, I can see the tab where it lists the name of the foot print that I originally selected in multisim while creating the schematic. But I can see any way to change it ultiboard other than change it in multisim, re-export the schematic to ultiboard and in so doing have to do all the part arrangement and routing all over again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,034 Views)

Hi Gregary

Yes you can change a footprint, I'll tell you how, but it is not a correct way to work:

1) in Ultibord remove your existing part and note (or remember) the refdes.

2) place your new component from the ultiboard database, it needs to have the same pinnumbering (1=1, 2= 2, etc, equal to the old part)

3) edit and change the refdes of that new part, change it to the ne you noted.

Then do a DRC check, and you will seen that the part is connected by the spiderweb to your nets.

Don't forget to update your schematic!

One more thing (I sound like Steve Jobs now)

If you want to update your layout without redoing everything, use the annotation tools (described elsewhere)

Or do it like this:

-update your schematic, 

-export a netlist (ewnet): tab  transfer/export to PCB layout...

-then in Ultiboard tab: file/import/UB netlist and select your netlst

you'll see a list with parts and nets that will be update.

beware, manually placed parts that are not in the netlist will be removed, then you should uncheck them in the list

that should work well

Succes

Johan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,027 Views)

Oh OK. - it didn't occur to me to explore the netlist route. Although I did know about exporting a netlist from multisim.

Thanks for that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,023 Views)

I get it now.

The epwrj file contains the arranged parts while the ewnet file contains the connections.

So when I 'transfer' my schematic in multim I am only overwriting the ewnet file while the ewprj file remains as I left it.

Then I do the forward annotate thing in Ultiboard and select my modified ewnet file and any new parts or new foot prints appear among my already arranged parts.

Another question though.

How do you usee the jumpers such that the routing recognizes them as connection points?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,012 Views)

Hi,

About using jumpers, I guess you mean on PCb's with single sided copper?

I have never used that in all the time I'm routing layouts... (+ 10 years)

I always use double sided copper boards (or more layers)

But on a single side SMT PCB, I use 0 (zero) Ohm resistor to jump over tracks.

They are cheap and placed automatically.

When I need them, I check which net it is, and place them in the schematic.

This way, you'll also see if that net should get a zero Ohm bridge/resistor.

Some nets (power grounds etc, communication such as USB) should not get bridges in theory...

Succes!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,006 Views)