Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I import a .drl file into my design?

So I lost all my project files for a design I'm working on but I do have the gerbers and drill file.  I need to make some minor changes to the board.  So far, I've converted the gerbers into dxfs and then imported them into Ultiboard.  I've lost all the component and net information but it's ok because all I have to do is add a few caps.  So at this point I have all my layers imported in but not the drill information.  Like I said, I have the .drl file but I want it imported to Ultiboard.  That way I can just add my caps and generate new files.  Is there a way to do this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,962 Views)
Hey, support guys!  How 'bout answering this for me???? 
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,902 Views)

Hi Jonathan,

After importing the dxf files into Ultiboard, you can just place the cap where it needs to go and run traces to the pads.  If the caps are SMT, I don't see a problem generating new Gerber files assuming your dxf files imported correctly.  If the caps are THT, you going to have a problem with generating a new drill file.   Ultiboard doesn't import drill file so, you are going to have problem merging the new drill location with the one already existed.   The drill file is ASIC and you can type in the new drill location.  Have a look at this link below to understand the NC drill syntax.  But to be honest, I think you should use a Gerber editor to for something like and if you don’t have this tool, see if you board manufacturer have one and see if they can modify the design for you.

http://www.apcircuits.com/resources/information/nc_introduction.html

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,869 Views)