From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add test points on solder side under an IC

I have a 68 pin hybrid (thru-hole) IC on the component side of my board. I have assigned test points (SMD Pads) to certin nets in the Multisim schematic. The pads come into the board as parts on the solder side. The board is routed, no DRC errors, 8 layers

1. How do I place the SMD test points under the IC without getting a DRC error.

2. How can I move them assuming I can place them under the IC Without moving the IC.

3. The test points and connections are the only routes on the bottom layer.

4. I have test points in place under a card edge connector with no problems.

This board must be ready to send out by 3PM today, 9/30

Thanks for the help

Scotty544

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,442 Views)

Hy Scotty,

sorry for the late response, in case you need some of your question answer here it is:  

1.  I don't think there is anything you can do about this warning and in this case it's OK to ignore the warning.

2.  You should be able to zoom into the SMD pad and select it, if you have a hard time, try selecting it from the spreadsheet under the "parts" tab.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,385 Views)

Hi guys,

I have the same question.  Can I place SMT resisters under IC or 7-segment LED on Ultiboard?  I am trying to place resistors under IC on the same PCB layers.  Every times I tried to move the resistor, the IC will move away automatically.

thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,244 Views)

Hi Harrison,

Your ICs are moving away automatically to make room for your other IC. This is due to the part shoving feature in Ultiboard. You can disable this feature by clicking the Design menu and deselecting Part Shoving.

After you do that, you can overlap components, but this in general is bad practice and should be avoided. This may also cause DRC errors in Ultiboard. We don't really support this and as they say, your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps.

Message Edited by yyao on 11-03-2009 04:58 PM
----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,232 Views)