Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

74als164 SIPO register needed

Guys, I need to use 74als164 serial in parallel out register in my desing, the problem is this component is not provided by multisim default database. Please advice.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,441 Views)

If you are looking for an equivalent functionality, the 74LS164N should be sufficient. However the timings (propagation delay/ rise time etc.) may not exactly match those of the ALS variant.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,425 Views)
Jason F, please see why my parallel in serial out register is not working. It has no serial signal when I press any of the switch
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,411 Views)

There seems to be two issues going on which are leading to this incorrect behavior.

The first is that your load period is too short. You are trying to latch new data before the old finishes shifting out. Your load time needs to be at least 16x the clock period. (8x clock for the 8 bits to shift out and doubling that as it loads on low, outputs on high)

The second is that your clock is extremely unstable. This results in an unstable output as that is what the output shift pulses durations are based on.

Your load time should be at least 20-30x your period for a safe margin due to the unstable clock. Try using a load frequency of 1k Hz and it should function properly. You may also want to use switches rather than buttons as holding the button can be a long process due to the simulation not being in real time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,398 Views)

The PISO register signal problem has been solved-I swap the connections from A to D changed to E to H then I got the signal.

Now I pass the signal from PISO shift register to  a SIPO shift register but there is no ouput signal at the SIPO shift register.

Please detect the problem thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,394 Views)