From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2N2222A CE reverse breakdown characteristics

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to plot the reverse breakdown characteristic for a CE 2N2222A transistor. Vcc is 80V and Ib is 0uA. I am inceasinf Vcc in steps of 10V in the DC sweep and trying to plot Ic, but I am not getting the avalanche breakdown curve at Vcc > 75V. The base is open and I am providing 0 to 80V for Vce but the breakdown never happens in the graph.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(8,048 Views)

Hi there,

Could you please attach your circuit for troubleshooting?

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

Message 2 of 10
(7,906 Views)

I am not sure what model you are using but the ON Semiconductor Spice3 model for that device has nothing in it which models the breakdown charcteristics.

Roberts and Sedra in SPICE, Second Edition, show the large signal model used for DC analysis of the BJT as consisting of two linear current controlled voltage sources and three resistors.

None of the 40 parameters which can be set for a BJT model set a breakdown voltage.

Using a simple test circuit consisting of a ramping voltage source, series collector resistor, and the transistor with open base, the collector voltage will ramp up to 1000 V while the source current (after a transient to charge the capacitances) goes to about 120 nA.  The resistor would limit short circuit current to 10 mA.

Lynn

Message 3 of 10
(7,902 Views)

I am attaching my design file. I need reverse breakdown charateristics of the BJT i.e., when Ib = 0 and VCE is > 75 for 2N2222A the base-collector junction has to conduct max Ic.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(7,896 Views)

Hello,

I used the IV Analyzer instrument to plot the collector characteristic curves of the transistor and here is what I got:

IV Analyzer.png

IV Analyzer_param.png

IV Analyzer Output.png

As you can see in the simulation parameters, the instruments sweeps from 0 V to 100 V (VCE) and 0 mA to 10 mA (IB). IB=0 is very small, that's why you can't see it here.

Hope this helps.

Fernando D.
National Instruments

Message 5 of 10
(7,879 Views)

Thank you I will try it and let you know.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,864 Views)

How to open Simulate Parameters Dialog box? I can't find it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,862 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jayanthd

Place the IV Analyzer instrument and open its front panel. Then click on the Simulate param button to open the Simulate Parameters window.

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

Message 8 of 10
(7,850 Views)

I got it. Thank you. I didn't get the graph you showed after simultion but after changing the values with the values you have used after simulation I got the graph that you have shown. See attached video. I need to set the values after simulation to get the proper graph.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,844 Views)

Hello,

Nice to hear to you could plot those curves.

Have a great day,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

Message 10 of 10
(7,837 Views)