Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incorrect file handle

Hi,

When I tried to save my UB design it complained about an incorrect file handle in the file.  The save failed and left me with a 41 byte project file, overwriting my old file.  It also backed up my security copy with a 41 byte file, so apparently all my work is gone forever.  I do have a backup, but a whole days work is gone now. 

I tried to save with another name and that also failed.  I then tried to copy my work and paste it into a new project, and then UB stopped working and crashed leaving me no choice except to close the program.

I assume nothing can be done now, but how can I recover from an incorrect file handle error and still save my work?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,141 Views)

Hello,

This is the first time we hear about this error. Do you have any other details (error code, etc) about the error message? Were you saving the file on a network location or external hard drive? Ultiboard version? Operating system?

You mentioned that trying to save the file with another name also failed, did you get the same error?

I don't think we'll be able to recover the file, however if you want you can send us your files (Ultiboard file, back up file) for testing.

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,117 Views)

There was no additonal error code.  Saved to local disc.  Windows 7, UB 13.0.632.  Same failure when saving to another file name.

For what it's worth the log file and resulting project file are attached.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,105 Views)

I got the same error today and it cost me an extra day of work (whole day!).

I was working on it and when trying to save the file I got the message (exactly the same as above). I couldn't save the file and after closing Ultiboard (without error) the file+backup were corrupted, no way we got it to open again....

This sucked, since we had to do much work all over again from some previous version. It cost me today from 10am-17u30pm.

I got it reproduced. The problem seemed to be importing a picture to the copper layer. Everything seems to go fine, but when I try to save the file I get an error and the file get's corrupted (also the 'safety copy'!).

So apparently the handling of BMP files is not very safe, this should by no means happen!

I got it working by reducing the size of the BMP I was importing to the copper layer:

BMP 10667 x 10667px imported and handled fine, but gave error+corruption when trying to save.

BMP 3000 x 3000px no problems.

Ultiboard Education Edition 12.0.0 (12.0.592)

there is nothing in the LOG files either.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,065 Views)

Yes, I also had a fairly large bmp image in my design.   Haven't had a problem with this before.  I wonder if it could depend on the format of the bmp file?  i.e. bits per pixel, etc.

I would think if you ever see this erroir don't try to save again.  Go immediately to your security backup and make a copy of it before it gets trashed by a second attempt to save.

This should be thought of as another even more urgent bug.  If a save fails MS/UB should definetly NOT overwrite the security backup!!!!

David B

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,061 Views)

SmeeAgayn and dbur,

Could you please send us your design files and the original bmp files for troubleshooting? I have been trying to reproduce the issue with no luck.

If you don't want attach the files here you can send them to ewbsupport@ni.com.

Thanks,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,044 Views)

Thank you for looking into this problem.

I have attached a file in which I get the problem reproduced.

When I place the graphic 'dartboard_low.bmp' in a copper-layer in one of the squares all goes well.

When I place the graphic 'dartboard_big.bmp' the problem shows.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,028 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,013 Views)
SmeeAgayn and dbur,

Thanks for sending us reproducible files. We'll look into this matter.

Pat Noonan
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,005 Views)