Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to check whether the circuit will blow off or not?

I am a beginner,basically i am a computer guy and for my project i have designed a circuit.Now my question is how do we check the current limit at which the circuit will blow off?What i mean to say is when i added a 3D red led on the board and gave it a 50A current ,it just worked fine(!!!)a normal LED would have been vapourised at this current value. So how can check the limit upto which my circuit can withstand? Do suggest if any other simulators are required for the same.I have LabView and Circuit design suit of NI ,installed on my machine.

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,408 Views)

Hi,

It is important to know that the way Multisim works is based on SPICE simulation where the response/behavior of all the components is modeled by a voltage-current characteristic relationship. So if you place a 10 ohm resistor and apply for say 10 kV to it, one of two things will happen:

1- The simulation will run showing a current of 1000A passing through the resistor

2- The simulation will indicate an open circuit at the place of the resistor (because it basically exploded)

What decides which case will happen is the SPICE model of the resistor, you can place a resistor from the RESISTOR library and the first case will occur, or you can place a rated resistor from the RATED_VIRTUAL library and the simulation will stop

To conclude, the best way to know whether your circuit will be having higher current than it could handle is by knowing the rating of the physical components you will use and make sure the current passing through or the power dissipated in these components does not exceed this limit by using rated components or fuses.

Hope this helps,

Mahmoud W

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,402 Views)

Also please be careful dealing with high currents and let me know if you have any questions

Mahmoud W

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,398 Views)