From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three phase AC motor model problem...

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, is there a way to use the 3PH_Motor from the family OUTPUT_DEVICES located in the group Electro_Mechanical but with a modified Spice model that uses only the data printed on the nameplate? I ask this question because I have to simulate power factor correction using a field of 10 motors rated at 110 kW each for my thesis, but I need the R and L of the windings in order to use the default model and I cannot find these values in catalogues.

Thank you in advance and I hope there is a way to solve this problem... Smiley Embarassed

Multisim 12.0.0
Message 1 of 4
(6,472 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tobster

I am assuming you're looking for an induction motor.

It would be an oversimplification to model an induction motor using a fixed R,L load (In V12 of Multisim, we actually removed the 3PH_Motor and instead added a more realistic dynamic model based on a more realistic parameter set). An induction motor is in many ways like a transformer. Therefore you need the magnetising inductance, rotor and stator leakage inductances, and rotor and stator resistances. You may be able to contact the manufacturer to obtain, but I doubt you can accurately deduce them just from the name plate.

This link goes over a simple steady-state model: http://www.scribd.com/doc/13311930/Induction-Motor-Modeling-steady-State

Thanks,

Max
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(6,457 Views)

Thank you very much! Today one of my teachers showed me the new models implemented in V12. Awesome stuff going on there. Smiley Wink Again thank you, and have a nice day!

Multisim 12.0.0
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,448 Views)

Excellent.

It'll be interesting to know how you're using them.  If possible, please share with us any labs and circuits.

Thanks

Max
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,422 Views)