From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This circuit has no power sources: unable to determine the simulation timestep automatically.

This just came to me. Instead of using the voltmeter from the instrument toolbox, try using the voltmeter under the Indicators Menu in the components section. Or another option, if you have it, would be to use the Measurement Probe. Also I would try the Agilent voltmemter if your version has it.

I just throwing you a few options here in order to try and help isolate whether it is in the circuit or some other funky thing with the way the multimeter is behaving.

It is a possibility that the voltmenter is loading something down in circuit. It seems to me that I had a simular problem in Multisim 2001. The circuit would work and simulate until I placed the voltmeter on it and then it would start coughing up errors.

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 43
(5,263 Views)
A few days ago I tried out the oscilloscope, and that worked.  However, it's too coarse for my purposes.  But the fact that it worked ruled out the loading, as I'd consider a digital voltmeter and an oscilloscope of comparable impedances.  I also tried the voltage indicator, but that bombed also.  Therefore, thus far I have no precision voltage measurement option.  However, I have NOT tried the "real" equipment.  That'd be worth a try, but I'm not getting my hopes up as I'd doubt that the "real" equipment is much more than the same voltmeter routine but with a pretty faceplate and varied parameters.  Nevertheless, it is worth a try.

Oh well, I'm out of time again.  😞

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 43
(5,259 Views)
I don't mean to keep beating on this horse, but does you version have the Measurement Probe? Look in the instument tool bar right below the Tektronics oscilloscope button. If you do have it, then place it at your test point. This may give you what your looking for. If you don't have it and nothing else seems to help then see if you can send it to NI and let them figure it out.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 43
(5,243 Views)

Hey, everybody check this out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have the same problem listed here, you should know that this is a problem caused by the Multisim software not been able to recognize the correct windows TEMP directory.

It´s really easy to fix this issue and you should look at this web site: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/15526EB2464F3EDD86257...2C00696BB0

You just need to creat a C:\TEMP directory and re-direct your system variables to that directory.

Now in plain portuguese: Pessoal, esse é um defeito do programa MULTISIM, voces precisam apenas criar o diretório C:\TEMP e redirecionar suas variavéis de ambiente para este novo diretório. Um erro chato, porém simples de resolver se o fabricante fosse mais competente. Clique com o botão direito em MEU COMPUTADOR -> PROPRIEDADES-> AVANÇADO -> VARIAVEIS DE AMBIENTE

Agora basta editar a variável TMP e a TEMP apagando o conteúdo delas e redirecionando para C:\TEMP

2600@bol.com.br caso queiram me contactar. Boa sorte com seus circuitos e lembrem-se o lema agora não é mais Ordem e Progresso, mas sim Corrupção e Impunidade !

Copy & Past:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: When I simulate any circuit with Multisim, I get an error message. How do I fix this?

Solution: If you get an error message ‘Error: C:\Temp\02.CIR: No such file or directory’ with any circuit you simulate in Multisim, you should modify your system environmental variable. Before attempting to fix this problem, let’s verify this is indeed a system problem. Launch Multisim and select File >> Open Sample, select any file from this sample folder and run the simulation. You should only attempt the instructions below if the circuits did NOT simulate.

1. Click Start >> Control Panel >> System >>Advance >> Environment Variable.
  2. Highlight Temp under Environment Variables for user_name and click on the Edit button.
  3. In the Variable value field change the path from '%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp to C:\temp and then click OK.
  4. Highlight TMP under the user variable and repeat the step 3, click OK until the system dialog box is closed.
  5. Navigate to your C: drive and make sure you have a Temp folder.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 43
(5,119 Views)

Hey, everybody check this out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have the same problem listed here, you should know that this is a problem caused by the Multisim software not been able to recognize the correct windows TEMP directory.

It´s really easy to fix this issue and you should look at this web site: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/15526EB2464F3EDD86257...2C00696BB0

You just need to creat a C:\TEMP directory and re-direct your system variables to that directory.

Now in plain portuguese: Pessoal, esse é um defeito do programa MULTISIM, voces precisam apenas criar o diretório C:\TEMP e redirecionar suas variavéis de ambiente para este novo diretório. Um erro chato, porém simples de resolver se o fabricante fosse mais competente. Clique com o botão direito em MEU COMPUTADOR -> PROPRIEDADES-> AVANÇADO -> VARIAVEIS DE AMBIENTE

Agora basta editar a variável TMP e a TEMP apagando o conteúdo delas e redirecionando para C:\TEMP

2600@bol.com.br caso queiram me contactar. Boa sorte com seus circuitos e lembrem-se o lema agora não é mais Ordem e Progresso, mas sim Corrupção e Impunidade !

Copy & Past:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: When I simulate any circuit with Multisim, I get an error message. How do I fix this?

Solution: If you get an error message ‘Error: C:\Temp\02.CIR: No such file or directory’ with any circuit you simulate in Multisim, you should modify your system environmental variable. Before attempting to fix this problem, let’s verify this is indeed a system problem. Launch Multisim and select File >> Open Sample, select any file from this sample folder and run the simulation. You should only attempt the instructions below if the circuits did NOT simulate.

1. Click Start >> Control Panel >> System >>Advance >> Environment Variable.
  2. Highlight Temp under Environment Variables for user_name and click on the Edit button.
  3. In the Variable value field change the path from '%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp to C:\temp and then click OK.
  4. Highlight TMP under the user variable and repeat the step 3, click OK until the system dialog box is closed.
  5. Navigate to your C: drive and make sure you have a Temp folder.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 43
(5,120 Views)

I would like to verify this with Nestor or other NI Team Member as to validity. I am not saying I don't trust what your posting, but it never hurts to be cautious when fiddling around with Multisim.You can end up screwing it up more if the fix is not correct for the problem.

Thanks for the information as I am sure it could come in handy.

Message Edited by lacy on 10-17-2007 06:31 PM

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 43
(5,119 Views)
For 2600/Lacy:

This is a known issue with some version of Multisim and has been resolved in the latest version of Multisim. The correct URL for the knowledge base article is http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/15526EB2464F3EDD8625722C00696BB0

For 2600:

I would like to know what version of Multisim are you running and if you are encountering this in the latest release. You can get the version number by selecting Help > About.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 43
(5,106 Views)
Thanks Garrett, I don't mess around with fixes before I know if they are for my Version since I do have the latest 10.0.1 build 343. Just so you know I have never had this problem. This is why I wanted to check it out before doing something stupid and maybe messing up my version.. Thanks very much.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 43
(5,090 Views)
Ok so I'm having the same trouble again. I originally Had this issue on my laptop but now I have it with my desktop too, which is running Multisim 2001 textbook edition. It's not giving me any error messages, the power source just doesn't seem to work. I've tried different types of power sources and components and measuring devices in the circuit and nothing seems to want to power up. I tried changing the enviornment variables and that didn't help at all, and there isn't any files in the C:
\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data for multisim 2001. Any ideas? I've had this software working before on this computer, but not since I reformatted a while back.
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 43
(4,858 Views)

Goto your Multisim 2001 folder and look for another folder labeled "users". The configuration file is in this folder. Make a copy of it and store it somewhere. Then delete it. This might reset everything. If it doesn't work then you can restore the file from the copy you made.

The only other option that would work is to un-install and re-install.

Other than this I don't know of anything else that would help.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 43
(4,838 Views)