Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sine Waves from OP AMP Help

I'm trying to make a clean sine wave and cosine if possible (anywhere in the 6Hz-40KHz range) from an OP AMP(s). I can't seem to come up with a circuit that work right at all. I'm using  Multisim 12.0. Please help,

Warm regards,

Derek

radiola18@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(6,831 Views)

What have you tried?

Two ideas come to mind from actual circuits I have used over the years: a Wien Bridge Oscillator followed by an integrator to get the phase shift or a synthesized waveform followed by a low pass filter.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(6,824 Views)

I tried a Wien Bridge Oscillator and other's as well. The WBO would work best for my aplications. I must be missing something. If I do get something to work I get just square waves. I have some attachments, hopefully they will open for you (Multisim 12 file) Thanks for your help,

Warm regards,

Derek

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(6,819 Views)

It (NI forum) wont let me put up attachments. They seem to erase when I try to post. Is there a Wien Bridge Oscillator or something like it that you have been able to make work (clean sine wave) with Multisim 12 you could send as an attachment?

Warm regards,

Derek

radiola18@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(6,817 Views)

I do not have Mulitsim.  I do not recall ever simulating a Wien bridge oscillator.  Many times simulators have problems with startup of oscillators because some oscillators rely on noise in the circuit to start and simulators may not produce appropriate noise.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(6,812 Views)

Thank you for your input on this. I spent a lot of time trying different sine wave generator circuits with Multisim 12. Like you said, it could very well be a simulator issue. I'll just have to find time to put some bench time in. But, I thought that was what a simulator was for. Maybe someone with Multisim 12 can show me different. I just didn't want to waste time or burn up chips from making mistakes.Thanks again for your time.

Warm regards,

Derek

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(6,809 Views)

Derek,

A Wien bridge oscillator built using op amps should be pretty safe.  Op amps are hard to burn up.  I taught an electronics lab in the Electrical Engineering Department at a major technical university for three years.  The only way students ever destroyed an op amp was by connecting the pwer supplies reversed.

If you post an image (.png) of your circuit, I can try it in my simulator.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(6,802 Views)

In the file Sine-Wave Oscillator.pdf I wanted to try out the following circuits using more common OP AMPs (like LM386,LM567,LM741,TL072,TL082,NE5534,LM318,LM358 or what ever you may suggest). I'm interested in:

Figure 8

Figure 10

Figure 14

Figure 16 better than 14

Figure 18

Figure 20 may be better than 18

These should be of great beniefit to my experiments(freq. ranges).

It won't let me attach! What a nightmare!

Pleas see this link:

www.calvin.edu/.../courses/engr332/Handouts/oscillators.pdf

I thought this might be the easiest way to do this, Hope it is not troubling. your a Great help!

Warm regards,

Derek 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(6,782 Views)

In the file Sine-Wave Oscillator.pdf I wanted to try out the following circuits using more common OP AMPs (like LM386,LM567,LM741,TL072,TL082,NE5534,LM318,LM358 or what ever you may suggest). I'm interested in:

Figure 8

Figure 10

Figure 14

Figure 16 better than 14

Figure 18

Figure 20 may be better than 18

These should be of great beniefit to my experiments(freq. ranges).

It won't let me attach! What a nightmare!

Pleas see this link:

www.calvin.edu/.../courses/engr332/Handouts/oscillators.pdf

I thought this might be the easiest way to do this, Hope it is not troubling. your a Great help!

Warm regards,

Derek 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(6,782 Views)

You might have to search the link in Yahoo search (404 if you put it in the http: box), It's the first one titled

'Sine Wave Oscillator' 

Doc from Texas Insterments

Application Report

SLOA060 - March 2001

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(6,779 Views)