From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MUX 8 to 1 Problem

Hello to all!

I have recently just started using MultiSIM for my electrical engineering course and I could use some assistance. 

My task is to create a 4 bit ALU which is capable of performing 5 functions [ ADD, SUB, OR, NOT, AND ].

After a couple of days playing around the problem I have been able to come up with a reasonable solution that involves using 4x 8 to 1 MUX's which based on the control lines [ AND = 000, OR = 001, NOT = 010, ADD = 011, SUB = 100 ] should spit out the correct result. 

I have slowly been adding the opcodes as I go along and complete each subsystem. However I have run into a problem where the opcode 001 [output D1] is not "triggering" for some reason I have yet to figure out. I tried isolating the particular system and tried to reproduce the problem, which I have done successfully. 

It seems even though G = logic 1 (input logic 0 since NOT gate is present ) and ABC = 001 it doesn't give any output 😕 however for the other two opcodes that I have implemented [AND and NOT ] it works perfectly. 

I have attached the isolated circuit for OR and I hope someone can help me figure out why this wont give me an output.

Kind regards

Melvin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,305 Views)

Update : Figured out my own problem lol.

Turns out I wired up C0-C3 wrong, the way I wired it, it would be read backwards, i.e 001 would be read as 100 and give the wrong output!

Using the multisim I posted above if you input 100 on control lines it will be read as 001 and give the intended output! 

Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,295 Views)