Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import an mp3 file on Multisim

Hi! I'm designing an exercise in which students have to acquire a music signal (from mp3 player, computer etc), and then use a number of filters (high pass, low pass, band pass) to light up different leds. 

Is it possible to somehow acquire a music signal on multisim(from a mp3 file on the computer)  so that they can simulate their circuit and check it? I tried looking it up but was unable to find anything.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(9,219 Views)

Hi Ananya.Gupta,

Sounds exciting creating course material. Are you trying to essentially use multisim to simply design some highpass/lowpass/etc filters? If you have access to LabVIEW you could do the following:

You could design a simple application in LabVIEW following the following guide below to create a custom LabVIEW instrument that will play a music file and generate a signal for your circuit.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13715/en/

Kind Regards,

Larry Colvin
Associate Principal Engineer
Dyson Technology Ltd.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(9,191 Views)

There is some additional audio playback tools in the NI Circuit Design Community (please join if you'd like to get new updates as they become available)...   There is a wav input, so I suggest converting the .mp3 to a .wav format and you can use the following Multisim VI to play the audio signal into Multisim...

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-28519

A site like this might work for the conversion step...

http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav

Regards,

Pat Noonan

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(9,118 Views)

Hey Pat! 

We are trying to do similar work with our students using Multisim. We are trying to input an audio file (in wav format), filter it and light up different LEDs. However, we found labview VI when clicked on the link under the solution offered by you. Could you tell us how we can input an audio file directly into Multisim? If not,  Is labview the only way to import it into multisim?

What is the way to get the audio file in the software to work as an input on the ELVIS board?

Thank you

Rujuta 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,745 Views)

Hi there,

Just to clarify, you don't need to have LabVIEW installed in order to use the instrument that Pat suggested. The only thing you have to do is add this LabVIEW Instrument to Multisim:

WAV File Input Signal Generator

Instructions on how to add the instruments can be found at:

Multisim Custom Simulation Analyses and Instruments

If you have issues installing the instrument just let us know (include info about you Multisim version and edition).

Best.

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,727 Views)

Hi Fernando, 

I tried downloading the file but it is not Multisim compatible format. All I can get hold of is the zip file or LLB format file. I do not see instructions as such. Could you please help me with that?

Thank you!

Meghana

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,717 Views)

Hi Meghana,

The LLB needs to be added to a specific folder so that Multisim can recognize it. Go to the following page:

Multisim Custom Simulation Analyses and Instruments

On the left side you will see the Download and Installation section with instructions on how to locate the installation folder. There is also a video with these instructions.

Best,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,701 Views)