Did you mean: 

How to set power (watt) to resistor?

Solved!
Go to solution

How to set power (watt) to resistor?

Message 1 of 10
(16,532 Views)

Hello,

Would you kindly elaborate on what you want to do? I don't understand your question.

Thanks,

Miguel V
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(16,513 Views)

Every resistor have his own maximum power load.

So how to set power (watt) to resistor in Multisim?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(16,507 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author flash_os

Hi,

What you can do, for simulation purposes, is use the RESISTOR_RATED component (find it under the Basic Group, RATED_VIRTUAL Family). This is an interactive virtual resistor component which you can use and set the maximum power to. If the power is exceeded, it will show you an animation when this happens.

Best Regards,

Miguel V
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(16,504 Views)

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(16,501 Views)

How can you set the power AND the tolerance for the resistor? It seems when I choose RESISTOR_RATED, the option for tolerance disappears.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(16,228 Views)

Hello,

There is no tolerance option in our rated resistor. The tolerance value of a resistor is simply the deviation on actual resistance. If this was really neccesary for your tests then you would do a maximum/minimum case test anyways (So if you have a 50ohm with 5% tolerance resistor then have two circuits where in the first circuit your resistor will be 47.5ohm and the other where it will be 52.5ohm).

Kind regards,

Miguel V
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(16,210 Views)

Let me also answer this question from a pure schematic/design/layout standpoint - as we do get this question quite often:

Power rating is usually specified by the manufacturer and it usually corresponds to the physical size of the resistor (so for a given resistor type and value, a 1/2 watt resistor will typically be physically larger than a 1/4 watt resistor).

For Multisim, most of the basic passive parts are generic (you can type any value, etc...).   However if you've found a component that has a certain value, size (power rating) from a specific manufacturer and you'd like to lock the specifications and save it to the database, here is how you'd do it:

First, place the generic passive part in the schematic...

As an example, I found a 1K, 1/4W resistor from Mouser (a 1/4W, 1KOhm from Panasonic, ERJ type with a 1206 footprint package size).   So I would place a generic 1K resistor with a 1206 footprint in my schematic such as this and right click and select 'Save component to database...'

save_R_to_database.JPG

Once in the database you can save to the USER or CORPORATE database.   Here is the thing - for Passives, we save them to the BASIC group, but you'll want to create a custom family.   Since for passives, there is a good chance there will be lots of duplicates for a given subtype (Family), so I would suggest creating a custom family for a specific manufacturer and type... (select 'Add family' button)

So for this component, under Basic, I created a family called "Resistors_Panasonic_ERJ" - which should be specific enough to avoid duplicates - and when I press the Ok button it automatically gets saved as 1kOhm  (Ohm symbol).   

At this point you can be all done, or, what I would normally do at this point is go back to the component in the Database manager (Tools -> Database -> Database Manager) and locate the part and add some specific information to this part (for my BOM, etc...).

So, here I am - as you can see I usually add information to the part in 2 areas, the 'General' tab and also the 'User fields' tab (as shown).   I usually copy and paste from the datasheet and/or vendor to populate these fields quickly.

Resistor_Custom_General.JPG

Resistor_Custom_User.JPG

Now when you use the component in the schematic it will now appear as:

Resistor_Custom_All.JPG

Also all the important design information (from a schematic, BOM standpoint) will now be embedded in the schematic and tagged to that component.

Yes - its a little extra work, but worth it when you are trying to organize your BOM or otherwise...

Regards,

Pat Noonan

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(16,207 Views)

how to enter resistance value .33 ohm 5 watt in multisim 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(11,365 Views)

hello rohit,

please create a new thread instead of reopening one that has been inactive for a long time if you have a new question.

Above in this thread you'll find an answer to what you are asking in both the solution and the other post.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(11,358 Views)