From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a PDF that can be searched in?

Hi,

Our repairshop would like to get PDF documents in which they could search for a component?

When exporting a word file through PDFcreator, I get a PDF doc in which we can search.

For Ultiboard, I'd like to export the silkscreen with all refdes on it, and have a PDF in which they can search as well.

But for some reason, that won't work, what's the reason for this?

Is there a workaround or a setting that could do this?

Best regards

Johan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,151 Views)

The reason is that Ultiboard is printing the text as lines rather than as text. This is want you would generally expect because Ultiboard is not a text editor.

The best solution is to provide them with the parts centroids. This will give you the location of the part on the board

I think you have an interesting request, and I've entered this so it may be considered for a future release.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,148 Views)

Install pdf995 in your system. This is freeware from Adobe. You can use pdf995 print driver for your tool pdf print. This would solve your problem.

For more...

http://www.techdockets.com/

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,126 Views)

Hi,

Have you ever found your way out? I am also looking for a fine PDF creator.Any good recommendation? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Arron

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,256 Views)

Hi Arron,

I just tried again, and it seems to work for the schematics that I printed recently with my Multisim v10.01 in combination with PDF creator (that's the name of the programm).

For the silkscreen of the board, it is still a graphical export, so there's no search possibility...

Even in the header of a printout, there's no search possibility...

Maybe in the newer editions of Ultiboard?, but I'lm afarisd there isn't...

Johan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,248 Views)

@arronlee wrote:

Hi,

Have you ever found your way out? I am also looking for a fine PDF creator.Any good recommendation? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Arron

Hi there

There are many PDF creator which supports to make a PDF files directly.And you can just google it and choose the most suitable one for you.Best wishes

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,900 Views)

Hi all,

Has anyone got any further with this?

It is a feature we would love... to be able to have a searchable pdf of the silkscreen.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,401 Views)

Yes it's because UB exports silkscreen as lines, not text.  I tried selecting a Windows font for the refdes to see if that makes any difference.  It did not.  For this to work without big changes to how UB prints silkscreen they probably need to generate a text layer with the actual attribute text printed in it to search on.  I don't see any way to do this with UB as it is now.  I think your only option at this time is to export the centroid file as CSV, sort on refdes and then just look up the XY co-ordinates.  This is how I have always done it so far.

Also yes MS does print refdes as text in schematics so they are searchable.

For a pdf print driver  I have had superior results with the free PrimoPDF.  It has always printed accurately, whereas many of even paid pdf printer drivers have distortions in the output for MS and UB prints.  Primo has never failed me.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,389 Views)

Is there any software that can use the silkscreen and/or the part centroids or something similar to give the same effect?

I.e. being able to search for a RefDes and it give the location on a picture of the silkscreen/board, as coordinates aren't that useful if there is no grid printed on the board

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,383 Views)

You should know where your 0,0 point is and should be able to mark it on your assm and fab dwgs. 

You could write a program to extract the values from your centroid files and place them in a searchable pdf, but I don't know any way to do that other than to create the program yourself.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,378 Views)