From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring interactive simulation settings

Hi. I am working on a simulation of a project that I am building. Project is to run a battery charger with a solar panel power supply. We have simulated the solar panel as our teacher suggested, and created a buck converter for the charging circuit. The problem we are having with the simulation is that the output of the buck is giving us 12V, or just the battery power. I tried switching the battery with a load resistor, and found out that the voltage of the buck converter is just rising veeeeeeeeery slowly, because the capacitor needs to charge. I have been trying to change the time steps and so on, and following a few threads that I have found here with no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I could make this simulation work a bit faster, even alot faster?

Regards

Bjarki Jóhannsson

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,070 Views)

Hello,

This has to do a lot with the processing power fo your computer and the simulation settings. Your current settings are faster than anything I could come up with to lighten the load. For a slightly faster response (maybe) change TMAX to 0.001 and ABSTOL, CHGTOL, GMIN and RSHUNT to 1e-007. This should free up convergence issues and slightly speed up the calculations. The reason why I'm loosening the tolerances is because you do not require results to the precision of 10 digits, but looking at large voltage values with at most 3 decimal places. I'm afraid There's nothing except using a different computer to make the simulation go by MUCH faster.

Regards,

Miguel V
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,985 Views)