Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 . How to install MultiSim ( Students version ) in Ubuntu 12.04 .

1 . Greetings to the National Instruments message forum website facility .

2 . I am an Electronics and Communication engineer graduate in the 2011 batch .

3 . I have Ubuntu 12.04 and recently installed Wine to support the MultiSim executable installation facility . After download of the required files from the ' .exe ' executable , a message window ( Wine configuration ) on the screen shows an error saying ' Bad format ' .

4 . Therefore I would like to get guidance from the Application Engineers for the MultiSim installation on Ubuntu 12.04 .

5 . This help guideline was recommended by Mahmoud Wahby, M.Sc | Product Marketing Engineer - National Instruments Toronto . 

Message 1 of 15
(53,970 Views)

Hi,

It is not possible to install Multisim on Ubuntu. Multisim is a Windows application and thus does not have the capability to be run on another operating system. The supported Windows operating systems as mentioned in the release notes are listed below:

"To run NI Circuit Design Suite 12.0, your OS must be one of:
• Windows XP 32-bit edition.
• Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit edition.
• Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit edition.
• Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit) or 2008 R2 (64-bit) edition.
Note Circuit Design Suite 12.0 does not support Windows NT/Me/98/95/2000,
Windows XP x64, or the Windows Server non-R2 editions."

If there is a way that you can have a Windows virtual machine on Ubuntu with one of the supported Windows versions, you should be able to install Multisim on that.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
Message 2 of 15
(53,961 Views)

1 . Even with Wine is it not possible ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(53,949 Views)

Hi,

It is not possible even with Wine because it is a Windows application. It needs the windows environment to run. It uses several Windows functions to run and thus you need to use Windows.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(53,944 Views)

Do any Multisim versions run on Ubuntu?

I'm really only using thise program for a night class. Once it's over, I'm never using an NI product again. I use Matlab and Scilab to control instruments. This NI stuff is too big of a pain.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(52,603 Views)

Hi,

As mentioned in the posts before, Multisim is a Windows application so unfortunately, you will not be able to use it on Ubuntu.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(52,562 Views)

Install VirtualBox in Ubuntu and then install Windows in the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(52,437 Views)

Install Virtual Box? WOW! Why didn't I think of that? Gee, probably because then I'll have to get a copy of Windows, all so I can use an NI program I'll only use for the duration of my current class. Then I'll be stuck with an MS product which will then require anti-virus software, be loaded with security holes, and function much slower than my Linus OS.

Why anyone uses Multisim is beyond me. There are many alternatives which are free, export netlists for PCB layout, and use industry standard parts not available in Multisim. The inability to use this on a Linux platform just makes it that much more repulsive as a product.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(52,433 Views)

Sorry about pointing out the obvious for you.

I should have know about your deep knowledge of Linux and I should have seen what you choose as a username.

-edit-

but now that I looked better, I was not replying to you but to the original post

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(52,430 Views)

I found this thread whilst searching to see if Multisim was available as a download for Linux.  I understand that it isn't, but +1 for interest in it!

Cheers,

BJH.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(42,406 Views)