From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cld excercise

Hello all,

this is my first time posting.

I've been practicing the CLD exercises.  I often get confused in what the exercise is asking me to do. For example CLD exercise 2 (see attched pdf).

On the 3rd page is states:

Set Timer Mode to Set Auto Reset
With the Test VI in Set Auto Reset mode, the Test VI must pass the Auto Reset value to the FGV timer. The Test VI must read the status of the FGV timer.
When the Auto Reset shift register is changed the FGV timer must immediately respond.
• If the Time Has Elapsed is OFF the application must continue operation regardless if the Auto Reset is on or off.
• If the Auto Reset is changed to ON while the Time Has Elapsed is ON, the timer begin a new timing cycle.
• If the Auto Reset is changed to OFF while the Time Has Elapsed is ON, the timer must continue operation with the time elapsed.

In the 3rd sentence, the FGV timer must immiedately respond if the shift register is changed.  Well, I looked at their solution. The FGV responds everytime the main vi is called. So I don't understand what they mean?

In the 1st bullet. Well in looking at the solution, there are no conditions in the subvi that considers an "if logic" to check if "time has elapsed"?

In the 2nd bullet, "If the auto reset is chaged...while the "time has Elapsed" is ON", I don't see logic that check if the "auto reset" is on and "time has elapsed" is on?

Same question applies to bullet 3.

Attached is the solution that came with the exercise.  I understand that the VI should work like a regular timer, but the requirements should match as well.

thanks in advance,

Frank

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,407 Views)

You need to post certification questions here.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 2 of 6
(6,398 Views)

I was also confused when I read this spec first time. What they described there is actually the behavior of the express VI. For example that´s why you don´t see any if statements for checking whether the time has elapsed or not.

(You have forgotten to attach the timer control typedef)

Best regards,

CsabaF
Message 3 of 6
(6,370 Views)

The functional global variable VI uses the Elapsed Time Express VI

Express vis CAN provide a good starting point to generate commonly used code!

Raw, un-generated-coded (unconfigured) will never (If this LabVIEW Champion can affect it) be utilized on a passing  CL(x) subision.  

Yet, Express VIs are valuable!  but, you earn your polo shirt for knowing where to wear them.  

IF you create an Express vi for your CLx solution or practice soloution.........please post it.  There are some Xvis that are quite useful.but many miss used.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,351 Views)

okay. So I get it the "if conditions" are behavior of express vi.

Now, what about in the Operation section, 3rd bullet in the "set Timer Mode to Reset Status" section, it states that the "Auto reset is set to False".  Looking at the solution, it isn't set to false.

Frank

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,280 Views)

I assume this is a mistake of the solution? Even though the current implementation makes more sense, the spec should be followed, correct?

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,152 Views)