Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Project or not to Project

I wasn't sure if Projects were required for CLD or not, and I know a few others weren't quite sure either. But I found a post from Mark Ramsdale (NI Certification) stating that Projects are not required for the CLD exam. I personally think projects are a good idea but it might be a way to save a little time by not using one.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Certification/questions-about-CLD/td-p/2351166

Jim Haas
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,705 Views)

The project is not required for points in the CLD.   I would always recommend using a project in programming an application, including the CLD. 

Mark Ramsdale
Program Manager & CLA
Global Demo and Equipment at National Instruments
Message 2 of 7
(5,703 Views)

I say go ahead an use one regardless.  I helps to keep your code organized.  And you have any modularization at all, the project is pretty much a time saver for keeping those organized and easy to find.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,698 Views)

Im not sure how much time you think you might save by having no project....Smiley Frustrated  The Project Explorer window saves me a lot of time personally.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,679 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

I say go ahead an use one regardless.  I helps to keep your code organized.  And you have any modularization at all, the project is pretty much a time saver for keeping those organized and easy to find.

Also, by having a project you can add a build specification for a zip file. This will ensure that you don't forget anything when creating the zip file you will hand out at the end of the exam.

Also, since you don't have access to source code control tools during the exam, you could create several zip files of different versions of your exam as you get to different stages without a broken arrow. This way if you get into a bad spot 10 minutes before the exam ends, you always can hand out one of the intermediary zip files you built before.

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 5 of 7
(5,671 Views)

FabiolaDelaCueva wrote:

Also, since you don't have access to source code control tools during the exam, you could create several zip files of different versions of your exam as you get to different stages without a broken arrow. This way if you get into a bad spot 10 minutes before the exam ends, you always can hand out one of the intermediary zip files you built before.

That is probably the best idea I have ever heard for a certification exam. Spend a few extra minutes to possibly save your hide.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,649 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

FabiolaDelaCueva wrote:

That is probably the best idea I have ever heard for a certification exam. Spend a few extra minutes to possibly save your hide.

Thanks !

The first minutes of the exam, even before you read what the exam is about, could be spent configuring your project, with its zip build specification. If you started from some of the shipping Project Templates, then this will be very fast. If you decide to go with your own design pattern that you are more comfortable with, you could start doing the code for that design pattern. Not more than 5 to 10 minutes and it could be an exam saver at the end of the exam. 

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,638 Views)