From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for setuping up LabVIEW environment for CLD

Does anyone have any good tips for setting up their LabVIEW environment for the CLD. I know everyone has their our preferences, but currently I don't really have any outside of going to options>Block Diagram>Tip Strips and Labeling and checking "Subdiagram labels visable by default"  This help remind me to comment my diagrams.

Any inputs will be helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,314 Views)

This is pretty specific to an individuals preferences.  And at one point I think NI allowed you to bring in your own LabVIEW.ini.

When I last took my certification I was given something like 5 or 10 minutes to setup my environment the way I want and for me that was things like turning off auto tool, turning off Place front panel terminals as icons, pinning the palettes and going to Customize >> Change Visible Palettes, and I setup all the common quick drop shortcuts that I use (because that wasn't part of LabVIEW at the time).  Beyond that things like auto grow, or auto wiring, or the position of labels on terminals, are all things one developer might like and another hate.

Message 2 of 8
(4,249 Views)

They won't let you bring your own ini.  Which sucks.  But it does make sense since you should not need all those ini keys I keep around.  Know what you change from default. Then change em.  If you do not have default pallets (control and function) remember to get them set up fast.  Or QD your heart out.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 8
(4,239 Views)

Is there a way to auto wire so that once you connect the wire it straightens?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,229 Views)

@champ065 wrote:

Is there a way to auto wire so that once you connect the wire it straightens?

Explain and show an example of desired and undesired outcomes.

"Autowire" has a specific LabVIEW ini context.  Somehow I don't think that is what you mean.

Spacebar while wiring has some advantages but is not related to autowire.

Appropriate connector pane patterns can help keep wires straight.

Setting the BD grid options to a multiple of Shift+Arrow pixels can help, as can enabling grid alignment.  

Ctrl+U options include several settings that you should mess with on a slow day.

Again, "Thou shall know thine ini and keep it on a keychain." ought to be a LabVIEW commandmant

Message 5 of 8
(4,226 Views)

Ok. I feel a little slow at the moment. What is this "LabVIEW.ini" I thought I know what it was, but not I'm feeling like I don't. Is this a file that is created once you make a project? Is there a discussion board on it?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,223 Views)

Tools>>Options is the basic editor dialog for the config file named "LabVIEW.ini"  That file holds a lot of setting like; where to show floating panels (Tools pallet, QD dialog, Controls Pallet, etc....), what BD Cleanup options you want, what color you want your coercion dots to be (Input only you, cannot change the color of a coercion dot on an output) Blink rate for new vis.  LOTS of things.

You should look at that text file and do a google search

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,221 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

They won't let you bring your own ini.  Which sucks.  But it does make sense since you should not need all those ini keys I keep around.  Know what you change from default. Then change em.  If you do not have default pallets (control and function) remember to get them set up fast.  Or QD your heart out.

I remember bringing my LabVIEW.ini to the CLD and CLA I took. I had it on a thumb drive and remember asking the exam proctor if I could change out the ini file (I told them they could sit and watch me to it if they wanted). I wouldn't look at my experience as how it was supposed to be handled but it can't hurt to ask.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,144 Views)