Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinker CLD Review. Am I ready for Friday exam?

Hey all,

I have completed my final sample exam before my exam on Friday.  I looks like a pass to me and took 3 hours and 15 minutes.

I would be really grateful of some last minute tips or some advice on what I could have done better.

Its written in LV 2012.

Kind Regards

Lewis

Lewis Gear CLA
LabVIEW UAV

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,889 Views)

in one word. no- you have some work to do before friday

no.png

Im attaching the report [edit: apparently you can't attach that format-  run the vi analizer yourself

You MUST use a project (*.lvproj) on the exam.  your submission as is would not even get graded.

The error style and VI Documentation hits are bad enough but overlapping controls, cyclomatic complexity and wired terminals in sub diagrams are poor habits you'll need to break quickly. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,878 Views)

Thanks for the tips.

I really don't think its as bad as you say.  Did you take a look at the VI itself? or did you just run VI Analyzer.

I certainly should have run VI Analyzer because there were lots of small things that I have just corrected (like spelling mistakes).  My VI analyzer screen does not resemble yours though.  I don't have any high rank errors (red !).  This is my Analyzer screen after making some small changes (3 minutes worth).

VI Analyzer.png

I specifically haven't used a project because non on the example solutions do and it says "You must maintain the folder Hierarchy and use these components to develop your application".   These factors scared me away from using a project.

What's wrong with my error style?  There is only one VI that does not have its error terminals wired and that's because it can't generate an error.

How can I reduce cyclomatic complexity?  I don't have that many states in my state machine?

As you can imagine, I eagerly await you reply.

Kind Regards

Lewis

Lewis Gear CLA
LabVIEW UAV

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,869 Views)

The error style hits were for not using an error- no error case (especially in your action engines!) to implement "Standard Error" Functionallity. like this example (from my library of vits)

AE.png

That mistake would cost you!  Mostly in time debugging your projects getting down to the root error.  Unhandled hidden errors are your worst nightmare!  There is a reason to take no action on error in.bool=True. 

Now, as to the result window.  I did take the time to put your example solution into a project and analyzed the project not just the main vi.  (on Friday you will be given a project to start from.  If I recall correctly "Projects" are LabVIEW Core I Module 2 material so you should have been exposed to them long before now and in no way for any reason "Scared away from using a project"

"Cyclic complexity" is probably low priority.  your code will run.  But when this hit comes up it is a clue that you may have chosen a less than optimal design pattern.  In this case you chose a simple state machine AND THAT WILL WORK! but the choices for "next state" are dependant on user interaction so your "next state" decisions are over complicated and you get the cyclic complexity warning.  You should be familiar with other design patterns as well as the standard state machine.  I would have chosen a P-C (Events) loop QMH and taken the small hit in overhead for wiring in a queue (not too bad if you start with New... and select the design pattern templateSmiley Wink)

Yes, I was probably a little harsh with my criticism.  There were several good point about your code but the major, easy to identify, flaws need addressing and you are under a "time crunch" (Friday is tomarrow)  A tweak to the error problem and documentation (TIP STRIPS on user controls and VI documentation are musts! and the most points per minute you can earn)  should get you over the gap and give you a shot at earning a polo

Wear pants though Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 8
(6,835 Views)

So how did it go?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,807 Views)

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback, I took it all on board.

The exam didn't go well.  It was harder than the available samples as it wasn't a simple state machine.  I ran out of time so didn't implement 1 of the 2 things I had to do although the framework was all in place.  I don't want to say too much because the exam is NI Confidential.

I should have stopped sooner than I did to write instructions to finish the application and run VI Analyzer.  I think another 30 minutes would have been enough.

I probably failed but I'm hoping for the best.  I will post back.

Lewis Gear CLA
LabVIEW UAV

Message 6 of 8
(6,790 Views)

hi lewis

All the best for our result. keep fingers crossed.

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,782 Views)

Hi Lewis & Silver_Shaper,

Me too in the waiting list, fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,776 Views)