Did you mean: 

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

Hi Nico, good job on your CLD practice.

Some good things:

• Functionality was mostly there
  • Good use of icons and SubVIs
  • Architecture seemed reasonable

Room for improvement:

• Simulation controls were missing tip strips (but rest of controls had them)
  • When water pressure drops, the timer keeps running, though I believe it should pause. (I'm not positive, I haven't looked at the requirements for a while). So if water pressure drops at 2 seconds, and comes back up at 5 seconds, the program thinks that 5 seconds have passed and moves to the next zone.
  • Lots of bends in the wires. Since most VIs have error wires on the bottom, and inputs closer to the top, I would do the same with your bottom loop.
  • The "Wait on user" state doesn't do anything, it just executes then goes back to waiting on "Dequeue element" since it has no timeout.
  • If an error occurs, the bottom loop stops but the top loop does not.
0 Kudos
Message 421 of 623
(5,772 Views)

Hi Nico,

let me add some more comments to gregoryj's reply also.

1. Data in consumer loop are in separate shift registers. As for me, it's better to keep all the application data in one cluster, in one shift register. Also, questionable if you can have there uninitialized shift registers. As it's not FGV, but application data, it's better to have default data in while starting application.
2. Timeout event in Event Structure does not do anything - so it's better to delete this event.
3. Usually, you don't need time delay in consumer loop, as it'll be triggered by enquing data. So if you need delay between states, use it inside of case structure, and not globally for while loop.
4. "Initialise" state better not to do as default state in state machine. Rather consider adding state "Idle", which will be empty, and set it to default. Because otherwise, when application for some reason will go to default state, it'll be reinitialized.
5. In "Load Sprinkler Data from CSV.vi" you don't handle case, when file does not exist. Application will drop an error, but you could handle it in custom way. But, not nesessary.
6. SubVI "Determine Skips.vi" has output named "Array". Better to give some meaningfull names to inputs/outputs. Plus, input of that subvi is called "... out". In this case, it could be "Sprinkler Data In", and "Sprinkler Data Out".
But overall, it looks nice!
I didn't check functionallity, b/c this is something what you can do by yourself completely, but if you'll work on style just a bit (try not to have bended wires), everything will be great.
Good luck with your CLD!

Sincerely, kosist90

logos_middle.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 422 of 623
(5,768 Views)

If you have access to the VI Analyzer (and you should/will in the exam), you can use that to see the style and documentation points that you're likely to lose parts of. I don't know how the weighting works (but I think it might well be different per exam) but apparently the VIA is used as a marking tool to prevent excessive subjectivity.

The default settings (which are the ones apparently used) give requirements like "no more than 3 wire bends" and that any VI with error inputs should use a Case Structure - in your case, the VI which loads CSV data does not. 3 of your VIs are missing comments on the block diagram, which they need to have. It doesn't matter what they say - double click, hit any letter key, and click out of the box to get easy points.

You have collections of "Overlapping Controls", but I think this is due to the supplied controls, which you're not supposed to change. I don't know how this works with the marking - I left mine completely unchanged (as instructed, just in case) and hopefully the points I lost weren't heavily influenced by this - if at all. I managed 14/15 for Style but a comment did include "Controls overlapping on subVI front panels", which I think would hit you (and probably everyone else) here.

Your controls don't have documentation set either - this is included (not just the VIs) as far as I'm aware. Again, the text doesn't matter. Writing "Ctl" and copy-pasting into each control using Ctrl+I as a shortcut to bring up VI Properties (or in this case, control properties) will get you those ticked off quickly.

There's a threshold below which a certain number of the same error is ignored - I don't know what this is, or if it varies from exam to exam, but if you have 1 bent wire, probably you're OK. For some errors, the threshold might be 0.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 423 of 623
(5,764 Views)

Hello,

I have my CLD exam tomorrow and here I tried another sample exam. This time I used LV OOP. It will be really helpful if someone can review it and provide me feedback. I also need to know if such architecture can be used in CLD. Here I have attached the project in LV2012. Kindly let me know if it is needed in some other version.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 424 of 623
(5,748 Views)

I can answer definitively, LV OOP is allowed on the CLD.  Only caution is make sure you can get functionality demonstrated on the front panel within the allowed time -- OOP can be "front loaded."  I'll leave the review and judgement on your specific application to others.  And good luck tomorrow!

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 425 of 623
(5,745 Views)

I need to check the specifications again to give more specific comments, but one point to note is that your program runs at 100% CPU on a single core - there are no waits in the bottom loop and the Run state re-enqueues Run as fast as it can.

I think there might also be an issue with not resetting the water pressure, but again, I'll have to check the specifications to be sure. Maybe I'm misremembering (or misread it in the first place)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 426 of 623
(5,741 Views)

Hi eBuddy.

I'm writing after  you've taken your test. I hope it went well. I was surprised at how much denser the actual exam problems were compared to the practice exams. 
In addition to what the other folks posted in response to your request for evaluation, here are some things I noticed:

1. Nested Case structures. I seem to remember that the guideline was no more than one case within a case. This may cause a ding in style.

2. Setting values using property nodes. This is also a Style/Functionality issue. You may want to look at using the "Set Control Value  by Index". It's a much lighter burden on execution time and resources.
3. Resource consumption. As noted by one of the other folks here, use some strategic waits ( about 10 - 20 mSec ) to unload your CPU burden. Running loops wide open are a real-world problem.

4. Also, to re-iterate what was stated by another poster here - Functionality is the key. You can have perfect documentation and perfect style and still bomb if you don't show essential performance.
Make sure that you get as much working as possible. 

I really applaud you on using the LV OOP  Design approach. It's very clean and easy to follow. Somebody else noted to you that it is heavily front loaded to set up ( I struggled with front loading during
my tests as I use the use Producer/Consumer structure). It is quite un-nerving how quickly 4 hours can pass while working on an unfamiliar application requirement. 

Best of luck!

Mark Blair
Displaying Certified-LabVIEW-Developer_rgb.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 427 of 623
(5,735 Views)

Hello all,

Thank you for your all support. Your comments really helped me. I completed the exam yesterday and it went well. I could complete all the functionality but unfortunately had no time to run VI analyser. I had made sure to follow the comments given by you though.

I had taken the exam online (a new option provided by NI to take exam online through examslocal.com) in which they give you a remote system for the exam and they observe you through webcam and screen sharing. Anyone considering to take exam online in future, I would highly advice against it. No matter how fast is your internet, there is always lag in the control. It makes really difficult to work efficiently specially for LabVIEW programming. The resolution also is bad and you do not see the clear display, you have to struggle really hard to place functions right. It makes your development much slower. At one point I felt, I would not be able to complete in time but fortunately I could manage somehow. So this is just a heads-up.

Once again thank you for reviews and comments.

0 Kudos
Message 428 of 623
(5,709 Views)

CLA ATM sample exam practice.

It will very helpful if anybody can review and give suggestions about the architecture, error handling, documentation and tags placement of my attempt of the CLA ATM sample exam practice.

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
Message 429 of 623
(5,630 Views)

Request to review and give suggestions about the ATM project above.

Hemant 

0 Kudos
Message 430 of 623
(5,607 Views)