Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

I never pretended that the questions weren't poorly phrased and confusing (my opinion only), I just thought that I would offer up my interpretation of the question.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 301 of 623
(4,507 Views)

Thank you for your input Matt!!

(My frustration is with the people that are responsible for making an ambiguous test that will test my skills and knowledge as a developer and not have to guess what they beleive is the BEST asnwer.)

The merge errors block will only report the first error...

The question CLEARLY asks which diagram will report ALL errors (as the second requirement).

WHY IS THIS QUESTION STILL IN THE MIX?

I specifically asked certification@ni.com about the other event structure quesiton on the practice exams and what the correct answer is and why.  They have not responded except for requesting that I post it on the forums so others could learn from the community responses...which I have done and then asked them again.  So what is the correct answer and why?

No repsonse.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
LabVIEW 7.1 - Present
0 Kudos
Message 302 of 623
(4,484 Views)

Please remember, those sample exams contain questions and distractors that were retired - often for good reasons.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 303 of 623
(4,338 Views)

Jeff,

I hate to break the news to you but I just took this test a few weeks ago and nothing has changed and these VERY old sample tests are still VERY relivent.  The fact is, that NI is not putting any effort into certification.  

Here is what I do know, for a fact:

1.  This test has not been majorly updated and still contains trick questions.  Even the same crappy trick questions.

2.  Have you heard...they are not going to test you any more to see if your qualified to be a certified developer.  They are switching to a point based system in which you will get points for answering quesitons on their forums and posting white type papers material.  

a)  So now they don't have to pay anyone to give you the test

b)  they don't have to pay really smart people to generate a fair non-ambiguous test

c)  As a bonus they get all their developers to write and update the forums.

LabVIEW 7.1 - Present
0 Kudos
Message 304 of 623
(4,328 Views)

G, You are somewhat under-informed.  I Have recerted CLD both by exam and by points.  One tip for the exam (which is still a valid recert path) ACTUALLY DO the online self paced core I and Core II courses.  There is a lot of material in there that could be filed under the headding "Why doing stuff like that is just stupid!"  Usually these are things decient developers just don't even think of doing and the why we don't do that never really crosses our minds.  A Certified Developer should be able to explain why those anti-patterns are bad ideas rather than merely write good code.  Many of the more essoteric questions on the CLD-R are designed to expose your knowledge of why some things are bad.

Forum participation is never going to be worth recert points!  I'll start the revolt myself if it is ever proposed!  I can't think of a faster way to destroy the community than to make it a competition for certification instead of the collaboration it currently is which has made it so successful.

NI has very visably invested in Certification and Training.  As an example: What forum are we posting on?  (OK, it WAS partly my idea but, NI made the investment in personell and logistics)

0 Kudos
Message 305 of 623
(4,311 Views)

If the test is non ambigious then why is their ANY discussion in this thread at all?

I just took the test and it has not changed and still has the same crap question that was on it 4 years ago.  period.

As far as underinformed, I was just stating what was told to me by NI when I called them.

Maybe you should call them and get clarification before claiming you know how the NEW system is going to work.

I talked to them have you?

LabVIEW 7.1 - Present
0 Kudos
Message 306 of 623
(4,289 Views)

@GPeople wrote:

If the test is non ambigious then why is their ANY discussion in this thread at all?

I just took the test and it has not changed and still has the same crap question that was on it 4 years ago.  period.

I'll avoid addressing your opinions of that again- No need to start a flame war 

As far as underinformed, I was just stating what was told to me by NI when I called them.

Maybe you should call them and get clarification before claiming you know how the NEW system is going to work.

I agree- with whom did you speak?  Do you have any e-mail correspondance you are willing to share?

I talked to them have you?  Again who is "Them"  The NI employees I regularlly interact with from Cert and Training have kept me well informed about directions they are heading and investments being made.  Yes, I'd like it perfect last year too but, I'm a bit more pragmatic than that.

Message 307 of 623
(4,269 Views)

Hi all.

I believe I'm the NI employee in question.  "GPeople" has been in touch, communicating his concerns about the CLD-R.  We are aware that the exam is old, and are strategizing the best fix consistent with priorities and resources.  One possibility is to retain the Performance-Based CLD exam for initial certification and then have only 2 options for recertification:  Either re-take the full exam, or recertify by points.   This is not a decision that has been made, but doing away with the multiple-choice CLD-R exam is an option we're considering.  Not many people take it, and developining an excellent MC exam involves significant investments that might be better spent elsewhere.     

A little clarification on the Recertification by Points program.   Forum posts are not part of the points program (I believe that was originally meant as a rhetorical exaggeration).  Points are awarded for continued involvement in LabVIEW programming, including LV community events in which LV learning is a part.  Here's the Recertification by Points Policy Document.    

So.. since the question has been raised, what do you (our community) think?  Is the Multiple-Choice CLD-R exam important to you?  Or would the other two options (Recertification Points/CLD 4-hour exam) be good enough for you?  

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Message 308 of 623
(4,255 Views)

I think the 4-hour test is probably a better indication of LabVIEW ability than the MC test but I would go for the MC test because I really do not want to prepare for and take another 4-hour practical exam. If I had to take another 4-hour test I would think a lot harder about whether I really cared to recertify.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 309 of 623
(4,248 Views)

As well, if you are not sponsored by your employer the 4h exam is also a lot more expensive!

Message 310 of 623
(4,244 Views)