From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

@champ065 wrote:

Hello All,

I have attached my sample exam for the ATM. Any feedback you all can provide is greatly appreciated.

I think you forgot to wire up the timeout.  I know this was just an oversight because you have the code in there, you've described what happens there, and it works if I wire 10000 to the terminal.

Other than that, you have lots of unnecessarily bent wires, and there is at least one case of backwards-running wires.

I believe the documentation is adequate and all the VIs have icons, including the main VI.  I think the hardest thing for me to remember was to give the main VI an icon!

This project feels like it was developed by a LabVIEW programmer for whom the CLD title will be just a formality.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 401 of 623
(4,627 Views)

Hey there champ!

I think Bill said it well- so I'm going to get "Super Picky" and knock a few bad habits out of you that you picked up programming in a Text language and have no real good use in LabVIEW.

I'll start with the obvious- and, let us play a game of "What is Wrong here?"  Take a look at thisCapture.pngFind 5 things wrong in that picture

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 402 of 623
(4,619 Views)

Is it the "_ctl.ctl"? I know it's a hard habit. It doesn't feel right if I don't but I can work on it.

0 Kudos
Message 403 of 623
(4,609 Views)

@champ065 wrote:

Is it the "_ctl.ctl"? I know it's a hard habit. It doesn't feel right if I don't but I can work on it.

The name is one - find 4 more

0 Kudos
Message 404 of 623
(4,606 Views)

Part of the second array element is cut off? Other then that I don't see the other two.

0 Kudos
Message 405 of 623
(4,598 Views)

5.PNG

1. no description

2. "silly_text_weenie_name.name"  Smiley Wink work on that OK?

3 Saved MAXIMIZED!  Do you really miss Windows 3.1 that much?

4. Default Icon

5. "Wlecome"  (Are you SURE you are a txt programmer?)

0 Kudos
Message 406 of 623
(4,595 Views)

You did warn that is was picky. Thanks for the comments and feedback!

0 Kudos
Message 407 of 623
(4,584 Views)

Hello All,

I have attached my sample exam for the Car Wash. Any feedback you all can provide is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 408 of 623
(4,580 Views)

Hi Champ,

Functionally it seemed quite good. I don't know all of the requirements, but playing around with it, it seemed like it did what it is supposed to.

I'm pretty sure you would lose points for not wiring the error wire through your SubVIs (like your main car wash control). They also like if your SubVI functionality is wrapped in a case structure to handle errors. Doing nothing and passing the error though is acceptable in case of an error.

I noticed at least one of your typedefs had the default icon, make sure to at least put text in the icon.

I think your tip strips are fine, but I think it is more natural to write them in the second person. For example "Click here to select car wash options." Or "Time left in the current step". Things like that.

I'd consider the error wires a major offense, but the other stuff is just nit picky. Good job!

Message 409 of 623
(4,575 Views)

Hi everyone,

I took a shot at the Car Wash sample exam and was hoping someone could take a look. It took me a couple of minutes under the 4 hour limit but I didn't complete it all in one sitting - I'm guessing that probably means that I was a bit slow, since although I tried not to 'cheat' and think about it when my timer was off, I probably did a little.

The specifications are included in the zip file for anyone who doesn't already have them.

Some additional questions:

1. The webcast for CLD (the 2 hour one) describes how VI Analyzer with default settings is used to check style and documentation, but VIA doesn't have any checks for Tip Strips. These are explicitly mentioned in the video - where should I put them, and does anyone know how they are evaluated? In my sample exam, I just threw them hurriedly on the main 'Car Wash.vi' in the last couple of minutes.
  2. I have a bunch of notifications in VIA about using FP references. This is pretty much a fundamental part of my design - should I just suck up the (presumably) lost points, or would it be wise to use other designs in a real exam (or use fewer subVIs, therefore making me exceeding the threshold mentioned in the webcast less likely)?

Thanks!

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 410 of 623
(4,542 Views)