From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

I doubt I will ever make it to CLA; I'll just be content to be the best CLD I can be.  Someone has to do the dirty work, after all.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 371 of 623
(4,635 Views)

Come on,  - you should beleive more in yourself!
It's not a secret, that LabVIEW certification is anyway allows to be certified for well-prepared people (with some part of luck) even without required prerequisites (like 1 year of development for CLD, etc.). Some guys are able to go though NI courses, do couple demo projects, go through CLD examples, and pass the exam! The question is, whether they will be able to do real-life project being CLD certified... But, it's quite individual.
The same with CLA - preparation materials are nice; you have several architecture approaches to select from; and apply them on real exam. The only what you need - is to know all the architectures points (like what is API, how to do interface for modules, etc.), and do it fast.
And if I see, that you have almost 4k posts on NI forum starting from 2009, so I guess that you should have much more experience and knowledge needed, then NI recommended prerequisites for CLA passing. So if it makes sense for you, and you have such an opprortunity - just go ahead! Being prepared, CLA is not so difficult.

Message 372 of 623
(4,612 Views)

Took the CLD exam today.  Felt it was slightly more involved than some of the sample exams, but not much.  I think it went well though.  We'll see!

Message 373 of 623
(4,580 Views)

Got my results today, passed with a 92%.  Excited to be certified!

Message 374 of 623
(4,554 Views)

Congratulations, dhendrix11!

0 Kudos
Message 375 of 623
(4,551 Views)

Hi folks,

In less than a month, i am taking CLD exam. I did the car wash sample exam and it will be great helpful if you guys give me some review points and tips.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Shree

0 Kudos
Message 376 of 623
(4,522 Views)

@shree_bala wrote:

Hi folks,

In less than a month, i am taking CLD exam. I did the car wash sample exam and it will be great helpful if you guys give me some review points and tips.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Shree

I can't see your code because your version of LV is newer than mine, but I have to stress something very important here - this project MUST be in a LabVIEW project!  The problem with the examples are that this information is not included anywhere.   Get used to using one... NOW.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 377 of 623
(4,520 Views)

The solution seems to be fine, but I've noticed the following:

1. No project is used - you have to organize code within the project while doing CLD.
  2. There are not used subVIs - you should keep just VIs, what you use in your application, do not leave "draft" VIs.
  3. A lot of bended wires - I guess that VI Analyzer could show it to you, if you will analyze the code with it.
  4. You have multiple times reinitialization to default values. First, I'd take VI Server reference just once, from the left side of block diagram, and not put its constant to every state where I need it; and the second - you don't need to close this type of reference.
  5. I'd recommend to set as default state of state machine an Idle state, not Initialize.
  6. Maybe, it would be good to add more comments to logic of application, and not just general description of state.
  7. If something, attach comments to objects while explaining particular implementation.
  8. Wash_process.vi does not contain any comments.
  9. SubVIs do not have error handling - you should use error in-error out clusters + case structure. I know, that it's under question, whether you really should do it like that, but I guess that for CLD you should show, that you know how to handle errors at least in the simple way.
  10. It's not nesessary to use "In Place Element Structure" for such a simple operation (unbundle-bundle by name should be enough, "In Place Element Structure" seems to be a bit overhead).
  11. If you explain in comments states of case structure, then you can add its description to subdiagram label, and not near case structure. Near case structure you can put comments regarding general functionallity, and particular case can be explain in subdiagram label. It's not a rule, but one can do like this.
  12. Not all front-panel controls of Car Wash.vi have description, and tips. This you must to do, otherwise you'll lose points for documentation.
  13. Not all wires in the Car Wash.vi have labels/description. Basically, it's missing for Elapsed? flag wire.
  14. Maybe, it'll be good to keep dataflow for property nodes - at least connect them via error wire while using several in one page.

Hopefully, that it'll help.

logos_middle.jpg

Message 378 of 623
(4,514 Views)

@kosist90 wrote:

The solution seems to be fine, but I've noticed the following:

1. No project is used - you have to organize code within the project while doing CLD.
  2. There are not used subVIs - you should keep just VIs, what you use in your application, do not leave "draft" VIs.
  3. A lot of bended wires - I guess that VI Analyzer could show it to you, if you will analyze the code with it.
  4. You have multiple times reinitialization to default values. First, I'd take VI Server reference just once, from the left side of block diagram, and not put its constant to every state where I need it; and the second - you don't need to close this type of reference.
  5. I'd recommend to set as default state of state machine an Idle state, not Initialize.
  6. Maybe, it would be good to add more comments to logic of application, and not just general description of state.
  7. If something, attach comments to objects while explaining particular implementation.
  8. Wash_process.vi does not contain any comments.
  9. SubVIs do not have error handling - you should use error in-error out clusters + case structure. I know, that it's under question, whether you really should do it like that, but I guess that for CLD you should show, that you know how to handle errors at least in the simple way.
  10. It's not nesessary to use "In Place Element Structure" for such a simple operation (unbundle-bundle by name should be enough, "In Place Element Structure" seems to be a bit overhead).
  11. If you explain in comments states of case structure, then you can add its description to subdiagram label, and not near case structure. Near case structure you can put comments regarding general functionallity, and particular case can be explain in subdiagram label. It's not a rule, but one can do like this.
  12. Not all front-panel controls of Car Wash.vi have description, and tips. This you must to do, otherwise you'll lose points for documentation.
  13. Not all wires in the Car Wash.vi have labels/description. Basically, it's missing for Elapsed? flag wire.
  14. Maybe, it'll be good to keep dataflow for property nodes - at least connect them via error wire while using several in one page.

Hopefully, that it'll help.

logos_middle.jpg

I think this will more than help.  Even though I cannot see the solution, it would appear that you have examined it in close detail.  Your review was very clear and detailed.  Nice job!!!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 379 of 623
(4,510 Views)

One thing I'd like to add, although using a LV project is good programming practice, it is definitely not required for the CLD exam.  I did my CLD exam 3 weeks ago without using a project and passed easily.  There were no points taken off for not having a project.  Although it takes only a minute or two to create the project, it's a minute or two out of a timed test you're spending on an item that doesn't affect your score.  As long as you follow the folder hierarchy that's given to you just like in the examples, I believe you should be fine.

@billko wrote:

@shree_bala wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Shree

I can't see your code because your version of LV is newer than mine, but I have to stress something very important here - this project MUST be in a LabVIEW project!  The problem with the examples are that this information is not included anywhere.   Get used to using one... NOW.

Message 380 of 623
(4,487 Views)