Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

Hi,

Interesting take on this application. I have always liked events, but I wonder if they don't destroy data flow? The main idea of a state machine seems to be  there. Your initialization looks good (i.e. you closed your reference). However, there seems to be some features lacking:

When running from start and only pressing the "Start Button" the High Pressure Wash Button is not activated. The cycle is selected, but the button is not. Once the slider is moved to the proper position the timer starts and counts correctly but the program does not wait for the slider to be moved to the Exit before going to the initial position. If you press the "Start" button again the program does not count up.

In terms of documentation:

The main VI icon is the default and the VI description is blank.

Tip strips seem to be missing.

I am not sure if local variables like those used to update indicators during user events is frowned upon, maybe?

Kind regards,

Rick

0 Kudos
Message 281 of 623
(5,308 Views)

Hi Rick

Thanks for the feedback.

I never thought to activate the default control itself, just the function. Thank you.

Also on the Icon update, tip strips, and vi documentation - I normally 

do add those, but I put this solution up once I hit functionality rather

than full integration. That was just me being lazy.

I set the slider to a mouse up event vs. a value change. Using

that has advantages as far as not clogging up the queue with

lots of incremental values, but it is sometimes a bit unresponsive

to mouse clicks.

I never thought to run the vi without any options selected. Great find!

The slider behaves properly through the Exit sequence with any option selected

but with none, it does auto-return to the home state. 

Also on the use of local variables. I try to only use them when updating control values.

I know that using property nodes for value updates is very frowned upon. I'm curious

if you have a recomendation on updating control values without using locals. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 282 of 623
(5,282 Views)

Hello,

If I could offer a suggestion regarding what to do instead of using local variables. I would suggest using functional global variables (FGV) to set and read data to update controls (or indicators, if necessary). When used with error in\out wires, I believe that this will enforce data flow and eliminate the need for using local variables.

I used this technique on my CLD with great success.

On a side note, if you can maximize your documentation and style points, that will get almost all of the way to a passing grade even with limited functionality.

Best of luck on your exam!

Mike

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Miami University
Instrumentation Laboratory

CLA Logo
Message 283 of 623
(5,260 Views)

Thank you Mike!

This is all great stuff. I will look into using a FGV to set and read data to update my controls. 
Never thought of that avenue. 

My last CLD gave me 100% on Style and Documentation, and

I missed a passing grade by 3 points due to me being a bit

slow and not having a lot functioning. I'm working furiously

on that angle, so all recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

Best regards,

Mark "Dusty" Blair

0 Kudos
Message 284 of 623
(5,242 Views)

Hello,

You're welcome. I've found that this forum was\is very helpful in preparing for the exams.

As far as code development speed, just in case you have not already done this...I would highly recommend becoming very familiar with quick drop and how to use it effectively, which as I've found really involves knowing what functions, etc. by name that you are comfortable with and use regularly. That saved me a TON of time when going thru my CLD (not alone in every day practice).

Again, best of luck on your exam.

Mike

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Miami University
Instrumentation Laboratory

CLA Logo
Message 285 of 623
(5,231 Views)

@mblair wrote:

Thank you Mike!

This is all great stuff. I will look into using a FGV to set and read data to update my controls. 
Never thought of that avenue. 

My last CLD gave me 100% on Style and Documentation, and

I missed a passing grade by 3 points due to me being a bit

slow and not having a lot functioning. I'm working furiously

on that angle, so all recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

Best regards,

Mark "Dusty" Blair

Use subVIs to compartemntalize your code!  You can then add complete subVIs while leaving out code you didn't have time to finish.  This way you won't have to worry about broken arrows at the end of the test.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 286 of 623
(5,226 Views)

Hello Guys,

I have solved the attached boiler exam in 4 hours and I want to review my status according to to my solution

Thank you

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 287 of 623
(5,024 Views)

MechatronicsEngineer,

Please save for 2014 or earlier and I will try to take a look

Message 288 of 623
(4,977 Views)

I really do Appreciate your support 😄

Thanks alot

Please find both exams attached below Labview 2014

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 289 of 623
(4,963 Views)

I just looked through it quickly and it seems very good! 

You document everything well, but if you are not going to use the comments at the top of your structures, I would hide those boxes. Also, the overal size of the block diagram was a little too wide, but you have lots of white space so it is just a matter of taking the time to compress it. 

Godo job!

Message 290 of 623
(4,959 Views)