Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

@kokthiam.chiam wrote:

Hi Bill,

Thank you again for your feedbacks. I understand more now on the expectations.

About the timeout, I did not use 10s at Event case because I was thinking that it may timeout if no card is inserted after 10s. Anyway, we can handle this in case it happens. I'll try to redo this and hopefully it will get better. 

KT

<mega-snip>

Hi, kokthiam:

That's the very problem I solved using the -1 for the timeout until it was supposed to timeout.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 181 of 623
(5,639 Views)

Hi Bill,

I've continued with Sprinkler sample exam to get more experience with the exam requirements. Could you please review and let me know your thoughts? 

Br,

KT Chiam

0 Kudos
Message 182 of 623
(5,609 Views)

@kokthiam.chiam wrote:

Hi Bill,

I've continued with Sprinkler sample exam to get more experience with the exam requirements. Could you please review and let me know your thoughts? 

Br,

KT Chiam

It's looking pretty nice.  I'm pretty impressed by the progress made!  I think you've gone beyond my ability to help.  You should pass with this.

If you think you can spare the time, you might want to look at how some of the design patterns handle errors.  I think it's probably adequate,but if you read the guide, it sounds like you MIGHT have to do a bit more to get every point you can squeeze out of it.

Some of the wires are still a BIT messy, but it's like night and day the way you generally kept them well-groomed.

The guide talks about labeling constants.  I think the most important ones you can label are the typedef constants.  I'd probably set up my options to automatically add visible labels to the constants.

I didn't have a real issue with your documentation before, but it's even better than last time!

Are you sure someone didn't write this for you?  😉  (j/k)

I'm not ahsamed to say this, but if you can translate the style techniques you used here into your everyday code, you'll probably end up being a better developer than me.  At least at making sprinkler controllers.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 183 of 623
(5,603 Views)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your review. I did put in some serious thoughts on your earlier feedbacks and how to improve the code tidiness. I know it's still not perfect, but I think this is what I can think of in 4 hours. I'll keep in mind your suggestions when doing the remaining sample exams.

Thank you again for your feedbacks. Glad that I made the mistakes before the actual exam. 

Br,

KT

Message 184 of 623
(5,592 Views)

@kokthiam.chiam wrote:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your review. I did put in some serious thoughts on your earlier feedbacks and how to improve the code tidiness. I know it's still not perfect, but I think this is what I can think of in 4 hours. I'll keep in mind your suggestions when doing the remaining sample exams.

Thank you again for your feedbacks. Glad that I made the mistakes before the actual exam. 

Br,

KT

Overall nice work.

Two hits:

1. BD Constants not default value will cost you a point.  Use default values for type and bundle your queue clusters.
  2. Consider changing your icon boarders.  That red boarder makes it easy to miss breakpoints set on the vi call

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 185 of 623
(5,547 Views)

@billko wrote:

I goofed up the because of the SAME THING (.ini file woes).  I have to say that this sample try is a totally different animal from the first one.  I think this passes without a problem.  About the only comment I have is that you finished and I didn't.  AND you finished and didn't sacrifice too much on style, either!  😛

That is the Rasberry of Well-doneness.

Good News, I passed the CLD!!  Thanks again for the insight, billko!

-Kyle

Message 186 of 623
(5,497 Views)

Hello,

This is my first time posting a sample exam attempt. I am studying for the CLA, and I have attempted the ATM exam.

Some things I noted: I was definitely constrained for time, barely getting all the requirements entered into the code before my 4 hours were up. The VIs I created don't have "descriptions", mostly due to the time (there are 90+ VIs in my solution!). Also, there are many spots where there is just some text comments hand-waving what the code should be doing there.

I do know that this exam is not supposed to be functional, but I feel like the grading on this exam is even more subjective than the CLD, so it's hard for me to gauge how well I did. I'm really not sure if this would have even been a pass... I'd like others' opinions on this.

Would I have passed? What should I improve on? Any tips based on my code? I do feel that the modular structure I'm using would be usable for any real CLA exam taken (which is really similar to CLA solutions).

I have attached the 2014 version (that's the version I have on my home PC); I also "saved as previous" to LabVIEW 2011 for those who are still a few versions back (which I understand). Thank you in advance for your feedback!

0 Kudos
Message 187 of 623
(5,462 Views)

I have just got the results of my CLD test - passed. Thanks for all who spent time on reviewing my early attempts and commented on my mistakes, I really appreciate your help!

I am not fully satisfied with my result (89%), it could have been much better. There was only a small functionality problem but quite many points got lost on style. I made a very basic wiring mistake in my timer and I wasted 25 minutes on finding the root cause of my timer  vi´s odd behavior (Stress does not help when you debug. It was a giant facepalm when I finally found it. 🙂 ). Of course those minutes were missing at the end and I did not have time for a proper cleanup. 

Anyway, I passed on the test and learned a lot during preparation. Thanks again. 

Best regards,

CsabaF
0 Kudos
Message 188 of 623
(5,444 Views)

@CsabaF wrote:

I have just got the results of my CLD test - passed. Thanks for all who spent time on reviewing my early attempts and commented on my mistakes, I really appreciate your help!

I am not fully satisfied with my result (89%), it could have been much better. There was only a small functionality problem but quite many points got lost on style. I made a very basic wiring mistake in my timer and I wasted 25 minutes on finding the root cause of my timer  vi´s odd behavior (Stress does not help when you debug. It was a giant facepalm when I finally found it. 🙂 ). Of course those minutes were missing at the end and I did not have time for a proper cleanup. 

Anyway, I passed on the test and learned a lot during preparation. Thanks again. 

Congrats!  Some are good at style, some are good at functionality.  Very few are good at both.  I'd have to say that the road traveled was as important to me as the destination, also.

I'd have to say I practiced so hard that I was able to predict my score to the nearest point.  😉

Again, Congrats!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 189 of 623
(5,426 Views)

Hi,

I'm going to sit the CLA exam next week on Friday. Attached is one of my first attempts of the ATM example. I lost quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to best duplicate the module skeleton for all six modules. Same as the sample solution it is based on a queued message handler for each module.

I will try the elevator one on the weekend (without looking at the sample solution) but would really like to get some feedback on where I'm losing easy marks.

I have covered everything but the error handler requirements but would think that with the recent practice of getting the skeleton up (I'm saving now half an hour on that) that I could have possibly finished those. I do in particular not know what the marking standards are (with the CLD a missing vi documentation or default icon got immediately penalised). Also how are the 40 marks for architecture develoment awarded?

To summarise: I would be really grateful for some feedback

P.S. I realise now that for the purpose of feedback it would have probably been better to do this in LV2013 and not 2014 ... sorry for that.

edit: some blocked scripts deleted the attached file and message formating

0 Kudos
Message 190 of 623
(5,403 Views)