From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recertification by points

Is anyone doing CLD recertification via the points program? I was reading through this document

https://download.ni.com/evaluation/certification/recertification_by_points/recertification_by_points...

In Section 5 of the document it appears that you can earn recertification points by submitting your own original sample exams? For example, if you are a certified LabVIEW developer you could write your own exam, in a style similar to the actual exams, and earn points for it.

I practiced for the CLD by coming up with my own exams scenarios and then coming up with the solution---and is was fun! It would be nice to turn that fun into points.

Jim Haas
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,114 Views)

I did a recert of my CLA via the points system.  Mine points were mostly for teaching and speaking at various events.  I would recommend signing up and submitting your made up exams.  It is a lot easier to get points than to take the multiple guess exams to recertify.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,097 Views)

my CLD recert by points has an issue date of April 30th 2016 so I'm good till Q2 2019

(Yes Tim i'll have a CLA long before then-  He razes me about that CLA frequently)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,085 Views)

Sorry I revive this older post, but i have some related questions, and I thought it would be good to keep the topic in one place.

Questions:

1. I read the recert policy document, and it is clear. But one question here: why it takes the same amount of points (50) to recertify CLD or CLA? Should not be CLD less (or CLA more)?
  2. Under MyNI profile I can see that I have 9 points: "Community member since 03 August 2010 / 9 points". I just do not know where these points came from, is it possible to get this info?
  3. I read the pdf doc (link in the first post in this thread) about recertifications by points. Refering to page 5, Table "Approved Activities Table": I see if I attend NIDays, I can get 10 points. I guess I just need to email certification@ni.com and ask for validation? For example, I attended NIDays last year, and I again go next week (I have even a certification of attendence from the local NI organizer I always ask for, since I need to give these to my employer who pays my trips)

Thanks for info!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,335 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Sorry I revive this older post, but i have some related questions, and I thought it would be good to keep the topic in one place.

Questions:

1. I read the recert policy document, and it is clear. But one question here: why it takes the same amount of points (50) to recertify CLD or CLA? Should not be CLD less (or CLA more)?

The number of points per activity, permitted activities and certification period for the point system changes between CLA and CLD
  2. Under MyNI profile I can see that I have 9 points: "Community member since 03 August 2010 / 9 points". I just do not know where these points came from, is it possible to get this info? Those have absolutely nothing to do with re-certification points!  those 9 points are part of your Community Reputation and reflect the total number of blog entries, example code, discussion participation, Documents, etc... on what used to be the "Community" side of ni.com (essentially everything engaging on NI.Com and NOT Forum related) Don't ask NI to synchronize the Forum and Community Reputations.  They tried once, it was a bad day
  3. I read the pdf doc (link in the first post in this thread) about recertifications by points. Refering to page 5, Table "Approved Activities Table": I see if I attend NIDays, I can get 10 points. I guess I just need to email certification@ni.com and ask for validation? Correct.  Also, drop a CC of the e-mail to the event co-ordinator so that co-ordinater can swear to the certification powers that you actually attended those events  For example, I attended NIDays last year, and I again go next week (I have even a certification of attendence from the local NI organizer I always ask for, since I need to give these to my employer who pays my trips) Or, Attach those Certification of attendance documents with the point request to certification@ni.com

Thanks for info!

And that reminds me- I owe the community a Certification Nugget: "Recert" but, I've been lazy lately.

Message 5 of 9
(5,328 Views)

Thanks Jeff!

Just one more 🙂 Is there anywhere I can see my re-certification points online? Or I just should keep track of it myself (and of course NI Cert dept should have the record too)? Obviously I should have 0 points now, since I never claimed for such points before.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,324 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Thanks Jeff!

Just one more 🙂 Is there anywhere I can see my re-certification points online? Or I just should keep track of it myself (and of course NI Cert dept should have the record too)? Obviously I should have 0 points now, since I never claimed for such points before.

This is, of couse, subject to change at the discression of NI (Yeah, I wish you could see them online too!)  Each time I submitted points to NI I recieved an e-mail that contained my points record as a table.  I even had to audit it once because an overly eager employee short circited the system on my behalf resulting in duplicated points.  

@and thanks for the reminder!  I just realized that I am again elegible to participate in the point system.  You can't earn points between the time you re-cert by points and the prior cert expires.  I had CLD-R'd by exam May1- 2013 and have had my CLD-R by points (Effective Apr 30 2016) sitting in the back of my frame for @2 years.  I'll swap those certificates in the frame later today.Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,322 Views)
Thanks, all clear, I will contact NI!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,319 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

And thanks for the reminder!  I just realized that I am again elegible to participate in the point system.

Well, you know Jeff that you could just not go for the recert points yet and just get your CLA instead. Just saying...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 9 of 9
(5,289 Views)