From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pearson Vue and CLD

Idle thoughts

I wonder why NI doesn't try to partner with Pearson Vue for the CLD itself, thus eliminating the need to find and travel to a proctor? I guess it would require that the Pearson Vue location have a reasonably good computer, running a clean, latest copy of LabVIEW, but other than that I don't see what other issues there would be. Pearson Vue has a pretty good reputation about maintaining testing integrity.

Jim Haas
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,565 Views)

Most likly there a time constraints (4hrs is a lot of room time for a single examinee) and logistics issues.  Witch Exam to administer(Tesat centers would need access to testees history of failed attempts)? transport of exam materials and thumb drive.

It would be a large effort.

Good News- the CLD-R is available at PV so you only need to sit the 4 hour exam once (unless you lapse your cert- Don't Do That)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,538 Views)

I did let my CLD lapse......big big mistake, it has been quite a journey getting it back

Jim Haas
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,534 Views)

I'm right there with you. I let mine lapse because I was not using LabVIEW. Now I am both rusty and un-documented (so to speak) but may soon need to look for LabVIEW work.

I easily passed the CLAD and am starting to practice for the CLD again, but keeping it would have been far easier.

As for testing at PV. I think it could be done and it would make sense, but it would take more effort on the part of PV and NI than it might be worth.

Good luck with your test.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,518 Views)

It would be nice if the cerifications didn't lapse but instead had a year attached to the certificate. For example, I could be a "CLD 2008". I would think that would tend to look dated to some employers but maybe good enough to others.

I will say this though, both times I have had to study for the CLD I came out a much better programmer as a result of it-----even if it was kicking and screaming.

Jim Haas
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,514 Views)

@Bob_Y. wrote:

I'm right there with you. I let mine lapse because I was not using LabVIEW. Now I am both rusty and un-documented (so to speak) but may soon need to look for LabVIEW work.

I easily passed the CLAD and am starting to practice for the CLD again, but keeping it would have been far easier.

As for testing at PV. I think it could be done and it would make sense, but it would take more effort on the part of PV and NI than it might be worth.

Good luck with your test.

Well Bob, At least your in a company with lots of certified coworkers around you.  If DISTek can't train you up right no-one can.  And I bet Certification is on your IDESmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,508 Views)