Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passed My CLD

After 8 years of being a CLAD I finally got around to taking my CLD.  After waiting 5 weeks I found I passed with a 93%.

I spent the first 2 hours with functionality, one hour on refinement of the code and cleaning it up, and spent another hour on documentation.  I know lots of people complain that there wasn't enough time but didn't find time was a big issue.  

I quickly read through the requirements then started on two VIs I knew I'd need and practiced writing.  The functional global for a timer with pause, resume, start, stop, and query functionality.  And a File I/O functional global for reading writing and getting settings from disk.  This helped me focus on a task that I knew I could do without needing to think about it.

I wasn't allowed to bring my own INI config for LabVIEW but was given 10 minutes to set it up the way I wanted.  I wanted to bring my INI because I use a bunch of QuickDrop shortcuts from the right handed develoeper.  Still in 10 minutes I added all the ones I could think of.

Oh I got the tredmill example and I'm glad I did.  I don't drink coffee and am unsure how a coffee maker would work, let alone how to code on up.  Luckily I was on a tredmill the day before and had good concepts of how that should work.

Message 1 of 17
(8,362 Views)

Well, it's about time.  And if you had that much time left, why didn't you get a 100%?

Of course, I'm just messing with you.  That is a great accomplishment.  Congrats!

Any plans to take the CLA now?  You know we'd love to have you at the CLA Summit in March!  And since I haven't given Jeff a hard time lately about getting his CLA...I'll just leave it at that.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(8,359 Views)
One step at a time. If my CLD is good for three years, it would be hard to convince the boss to pay for another certification so early. I'll keep my eye out for another NI voucher and think about taking it after getting one. March just isn't going to happen.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(8,356 Views)

Sounds great, congratulations! I am still waiting for my results - this was my second try. First time I also got the treadmill and failed.  🙂 My brain just stopped working and I created a very complicated producer-consumer monster app, which did not work as expected.

I went home, prepared a cup of tea, made a few sketches and quickly realized that I could have solved it with a very simple statemachine in no time. Three weeks later I found out that I missed the passed limit by 1 points, or so. Shame on me.

I analyzed my mistakes and decided to have a very different way of preparing myself for the second test. I spent almost no time in LabVIEW, but I created a lot of different state machine diagrams for different scenarios, I analyzed the success package specs and also  created my own specs for the expected test scenarios. In my sketchbook I had state diagrams for all scenarios I could imagine for a coffe machine or a security system. 🙂 I selected the most challenging ones and made only those in LabVIEW. 

I got the vending machine second time and it went much better than first time - hopefully this attempt will be a pass.

Best regards,

CsabaF
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(8,330 Views)

First. congratulations.  Having followed you on the forums for so long, I wouldn't expect you to have any trouble.

Second... I've been sitting at CLD for seven years because I'm afraid of what is implied in holding the CLA title (people would think I knew something).  Also, although I think I could pass the exam (after a try or three), the things I've read about CLA-R terrify me.  You keeping your CLAD for so long doesn't fit in my head.  Why'd you wait?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(8,320 Views)

Yeah I've seen on the forums that the actual CLD is harder than any practice ones on the forums and it is true.  I did the car wash in about 2 hours the first time I saw it.  But my treadmill took just about the whole time.  I guess I could have ended 30 minutes early but I just took my time and went over everything again.

@jcarmody wrote:

I've been sitting at CLD for seven years because I'm afraid of what is implied in holding the CLA title (people would think I knew something).  Also, although I think I could pass the exam (after a try or three), the things I've read about CLA-R terrify me.  You keeping your CLAD for so long doesn't fit in my head.  Why'd you wait?

Who needs a CLA-R, renew by points my good man.  I never intend on taking a recertification exam.

As for my CLAD status.  Well I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers, but I feel my previous employer didn't really care about my certification, and was much more focused on billable work.  The first time I passed my CLAD was when I went to a free training session near by that gave it out at the end of the day.  I was out of town 6 months out of the year and I just couldn't get approval for the time and cost associated.  This is also a reason I never went to NI Week while there either.

In addition to that I was also a bit intimidated by the CLD.  I've heard many people say they ran out of time, so I guess I've tried making a focus of my skills over the years to be quick.  But after taking this new job I got the confidence to become better, and things have worked out.

Message 6 of 17
(8,313 Views)

jcarmody wrote: the things I've read about CLA-R terrify me.

That's why Recertification By Points is so nice.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(8,309 Views)

re: recertification by points

I haven't taught a class in forever, and I no longer work for a Certified Training Center, so that avenue looks like a dead-end.  I might be able to attend a local NI event, but that'll require using vacation time (which is not a show-stopper).  I expect that I could write exam content, but I'm not at a level to contribute anything that would qualify as "Involvement with NI".  A colleague recertified as a CLA by writing exam content.

How do you guys get your points?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(8,287 Views)

If you didn't find it here is the PDF.

ftp://ftp.ni.com/evaluation/certification/recertification_by_points/recertification_by_points.pdf

Lets go with CLD which is a 3 year period, and you only need 50 points.  If you participate in one beta a year you have 45.  And attending a free user group in the area is 5.

The detroit user group meets 4 times a year.  So that is 20 points a year just attending so that is 60 in the 3 year renewal period.

What about presenting?  Well if you attend user groups often you should try to present.  Present one a year is 30 in 3 years, then you only need another 20, so attend 4 more in that 3 year period.

Go to NI Week?  If you go each year that is 15 points each making 45.  Again one user group is the 50.

How about a mix.  Go to NI Week once.  Present at user group once.  Participate in a beta once, and you have 40, just attend 2 user groups.

Of course there are other ways but these are my plans for points.

Message 9 of 17
(8,282 Views)

I told my boss that he just needs to attend NI Week and Alliance Day twice in the 3 year period.  That is 15 points for NI Week and another 10 for Alliance Day.  So 25 points from NI Week trip.

Personally, I taught LabVIEW Core 1 and 2 (10 points), taught a class at a local university (I think it was 10 points), participated in the LabVIEW beta (15 points), and presented at the local Developer Education Day (20 points).  I did all of that in the October through March timeframe.  And since my certification renewal from passing the CLA-R was in September, I am now fully certified as a CLA through September 2021.

Yes, I really like Recert By Points.

GCentral
Message 10 of 17
(8,272 Views)