Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Post Nominals

Hi everyone

When you pass NI certification, do the initials count as post nominals (CLAD, CLD etc) in the same way as degrees (Beng, BSc etc) and professional registration (MIET, IENG, CENG etc) does?

I haven't seen CLD listed on wikipedia as a post nominal so wasn't sure if it was officially a post nominal in the same way as a degree or knighthood etc?

If it does, then I was thinking of updating the wiki accordingly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-nominal_letters_(United_Kingdom)

Would it come under professional registration?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,991 Views)

I've never seen anybody do that.  I see plenty of people add them to signatures on business cards, etc.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(6,984 Views)

That is what a post nominal is for. Plus CVs etc. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(6,982 Views)
A lot of those seem like they came from a Monty Python sketch.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(6,857 Views)

Broadly speaking, the certifications certainly are used as post nominals, but it appears there is wide and culture-specific opinion about the use of post-nominal letters.  Just my opinion -- the list you provided (UK) seems to be more general, high-level qualifications, I don't see Microsoft or Cisco on this list.  But the US page does have an IT section which includes Microsoft etc, so LabVIEW certifications certainly should be in that page! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-nominal_letters_(USA)#IT_industry

Certification Engineer
National Instruments Global Customer Education
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,847 Views)

I might get them added to the page

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(6,836 Views)

My understanding of post-nominals was that they are reserved for 'officially' (I use the term loosely) recognised professions/statuses - e.g. members of the armed forces, university degrees, prestigious schools, recognised professional institutions / charterships etc.

I wouldn't consider the NI certifications to be 'worthy' enough (blasphemy, I know!) to be considered post-nominals, if for no other reason than that they are owned/administered by NI - a private organisation - I'd never use them as part of my name but I do include them in things like email signatures. I don't think there are any profesisonal certifications (e.g. CISCO, Microsoft) which are allowed/used as post-nominals - unless it's part of an officially recognised profession (e.g. accountancy, law) from a professional body/institution. I doubt any vendor-specific certifications would ever make the list.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 7 of 11
(6,777 Views)

Yes I suppose that makes sense. I thought I saw CISCO on there but upon double checking, there isn't any private companies on there.

If you imagine how many designated letter we have in technology, I would imagine it would break the internet if we tried ramming all designatory letters from all fields onto that wiki page. I guess vets, doctors, pharmaceuticals, psychologists, many of them will have their own systems as well as the professional bodies. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,773 Views)

The US wikipedia page for postnominals does have Cisco & Microsoft.  Really (link in my prior message).  UK wikipedia, not so much.  It makes sense to me that the UK would be more formal in their handling of honorifics.   

Certification Engineer
National Instruments Global Customer Education
Message 9 of 11
(6,759 Views)

@MrEF wrote:

The US wikipedia page for postnominals does have Cisco & Microsoft.  Really (link in my prior message).  UK wikipedia, not so much.  It makes sense to me that the UK would be more formal in their handling of honorifics.   

Yes, I think most of the officially recognised post-nominals are related to royalty (e.g. being knighted)...pomp & ceremony and all that 😛

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,757 Views)