Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was proficient at LabVIEW until last Thursday

Getting a bit off topic, but regarding Mark's excellent comments above, one of the first things towards more general marketing for LabVIEW is a name change.

Richard

Message 11 of 16
(3,938 Views)

Well, to answer one previous question, having a CLD has become an increasingly more frequently asked question by prospective customers. So my answer is that having one is a necessity.

As to whether DAQ knowledge is or will be less relevant in LabVIEW's future, well, all of the projects I have been asked to work on in the 18+ years of LabVIEW use have had a DAQ/Hardware component. Yes, some have had an equal amount of data processing, computation or what ever, but the primary questions asked in the screening interviews tend to be "experience with GPIB, LON, Data Acquisition hardware, serial comms, etc...?" While I know that LabVIEW is being used more and more as a more general purpose language, at the moment, at least in my circle of professional LabVIEW acquaintances, the majority of "gigs" are at least in part hardware related. That being said, interaction with hardware is extremely non-trivial in the development of a program. The various express vi's do allow those with minimal hardware knowledge to write a LabVIEW programs, but not necessarily an efficient one. So I maintain my contention. I will add that I have had well thought out and persuasively presented "arguments" in other threads by some of the top (IMHO) LabVIEWers countering my contention, but if I am hiring a LabVIEWer (no we are not hiring at the moment! Smiley Sad ), there is usually a strong desire for hardware experience.

As to a name change, it has been discussed for at least 15 years! I suggest Glog as a new name 😉

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 12 of 16
(3,914 Views)

Putnam,

I agree that general knowledge of hardware interactions with LV is important.  However, as presently implemented, it CANNOT be fairly tested in the certification process because the APIs differ significantly by platform.  DAQmx is only fully available on Windows.  DAQmx Base is, I think, available on all platforms, but so rarely used on mainstream Windows that it is not suitable.

To make certifications with hardware interaction relevant and feasible, NI will need to make the DAQ API as uniform across platforms as VISA.

Lynn

Message 13 of 16
(3,906 Views)

I told my sweetie that I needed to have proof of competency for a prospective new job, her response was "That might be difficult". She is in the mental health industry.

I am "competent", at least on paper, in LabVIEW. Drove 90 snowy miles to take and pass my CLD-R exam yesterday, so I am now, once again, proficient in LabVIEW!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 14 of 16
(3,859 Views)

@broken Arrow wrote:

Getting a bit off topic, but regarding Mark's excellent comments above, one of the first things towards more general marketing for LabVIEW is a name change.

^^^^^^^^

This. This. This.

Anybody listening?  Anybody?

I've been harping ona bout just this same thing for YEARS.  PLEASE consider changing the name of LabVIEW........

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(3,760 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

@broken Arrow wrote:

^^^^^^^^

This. This. This.

Anybody listening?  Anybody?

I've been harping ona bout just this same thing for YEARS.  PLEASE consider changing the name of LabVIEW........

Intaris,

Post something in the Idea Exchange! Smiley Tongue

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(3,754 Views)