Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elapsed Time VI my first CLD Preparation. I would like you people to Rate me.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi friends,

I`ve attached my Elapsed Time VI, which was my first preparation towards CLD and please have a look and the document and the VI and Rate my VI.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,184 Views)

Hello gnshmrthy,

There are a lot of good bits in your code, here are my comments on the not so good ones:

You havent wired the error terminals at all!

No VI documentation.

The reset does not work if the time has not elapsed!

Using an express VI is perfectly valid in the CLD exam. However, the idea of this exercise (as far as I understand) is to build it from scratch. Or else you could have just used the express vi in a while loop and wired the exit control to the while loop stop terminal with a delay and saved yourself a lot of trouble!

Front panel is given to you in exams and this probably is not very relavant. But I would recommend using one front panel pallete of your preference (either modern or silver or system) and stick to it than mixing silver, modern and others just for consistency.

What is the point of this? Smiley Wink

Elapsed Time LV8.6_BD.png

Also I see you are using LV8.6, the exam machines are normally 2012. The environment is still very similar but most people run out of time during this exam, I would recommmend that you get used to 2012 environment and the new features introduced after LV8.6. Conditional indexing, Sub diagram labels, Quick drop, Block diagram Clean-up (it works sometimes!) etc are very useful programming and time saving tools at your disposal.

CLA CTAChampionI'm attending the GLA Summit!
Subscribe to the Test Automation user group: UK Test Automation Group
Message 2 of 8
(7,157 Views)

Hi .aCe.,

I`ve made the changes in the code and also added the error cluster. I would be happy if I know in what all the ways I can improve my documentation. On all aspects.

Thanks for the feedback.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,126 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mini09

My point above still stands.

As you are using an express vi which has the functionality you are try to acheive, even this will do the job.

Example_VI.png

So what I am trying to say is that you need to replicate the functionality of the elapsed time express vi without using it.

Here is a good tip from one of the experts: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Certification/Car-Wash-REVIEW/m-p/2267688#M540

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,114 Views)

Hi,  

From the Spec, "Develop a simple timer application using the Elapsed Time Express VI and the given application front panel (Figure 1)."

For this CLD exercise #1 part of the goal is to become familiar with the Express VI.   The results of understanding the express VI  is to know when to use it, knowing it's strengths and weaknesses.   For some timer applications this Express VI might have all the functionality needed, in other applications it may not. So getting to know this timer allows one to make quick decisions during the CLD to use it or not.  

This first CLD exercise is a good primer for a simple timer.  One of the subsequent exercises does what you are stating, makes a timer without using the express VI.

Mark Ramsdale
Program Manager & CLA
Global Demo and Equipment at National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,109 Views)

Apologies, I did not read the pdf file in the first post.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,099 Views)

@.aCe. wrote:

Apologies, I did not read the pdf file in the first post.

No appologies needed.  Good feedback on the Beta.  Smiley Wink

However, you do need to learn to read a specification and implement THAT solution to become a developer.  You probably have learned that youself painfully (Yes Developers, "Read the spec" is fairly important-) "The SPEC" is "what the customer wants", maybe not what they need... That is another point but, delivering "To spec" is important.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,074 Views)

@JÞB wrote:
You probably have learned that youself painfully

Yes, been there done that.Smiley Sad Still feel the pain from now and before!

Message 8 of 8
(7,066 Views)