Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documenting requirements coverage in CLA exam

Hello,

I know that we're supposed to document requirements coverage during the CLA exam.

By inserting a tag [Covers : ID]

Looking at the sample exam for CLA (ATM machine), I see that there are quite a few reqirements and some requirements branch out into ( more detailed sub-requirements )

I.e.

SD3. The database shall provide a mechanism to modify the account balance of a record.

Has 2 Sub-requirements

SD3A. This functionality will only be available on a record that is owned by the interface.
SD3B. Modifying the account balance in this way will only affect the local copy of the owned record.

I understand that this is kind of an open question but I'm just wondering what is the bias?

In my resulting answer should do I need to create 3 tags for the requirement and all-sub requirements.

Or should I focus on providing the Top level requirement tag, and the person checking the exam will scan themselves and see if my VI covers the addtional sub-requirements?

The exam is 4 hours long and there are 100+ requirements if you include the sub requirements. So putting in the Tags is a daunting time consuming job and you can make a mistake.

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Maciej

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,606 Views)

Well, other than the obvious 'Don't make a mistake' reccommendation, two examiners go through the entire project with a fine tooth comb looking for places to give half marks. 

The exam is 4 hours long and there are 100+ requirements if you include the sub requirements. So putting in the Tags is a daunting time consuming job and you can make a mistake.

Adding all of the tags is taken into account with the 4 hours' time limit, and is reflected in the marking. If you add a load of tags, you will get marks in the documentation. You do want to list all of the sub-requirements; just stick them down on the BD wherever they are relevent. You don't need to worry about separate free labels, just so long as the tags are near the bit of code that they will describe.

Or should I focus on providing the Top level requirement tag, and the person checking the exam will scan themselves and see if my VI covers the addtional sub-requirements?

Explicitly labelling all of the sub requirements will make it a lot quicker to mark, but as mentioned above, the examiner won't ignore something that is not tagged.

One thing to add; you are not expected to do much actual code writing (drawing) in the CLA exam, you are required to design an architecture for the given problem. A big part of this is documenting for other developers what code should "go here" and is largely what you are marked on. A lot of the time, all that is needed is to make a VI, name it, save it and drop a comment down saying what to code and a link to a requirements spec.

(6,589 Views)