Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change data representation on the Front Panel in CLD exam

Solved!
Go to solution

I understand that front panel is provided in the CLD exam. Can I change the data representation if I think it is necessary/more convinient for my purpose? e.g. change i32 into u32 or double...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,827 Views)
Solution
Accepted by AuZn

Short answer, no.  The scenario/perspective is you developing an application according to someone else's specs.

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,800 Views)

Thanks. Then I suppose changing mechanical behavior of a bottun is not allowed either?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,786 Views)

Correct, by same logic.

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,779 Views)

@AuZn wrote:

I understand that front panel is provided in the CLD exam. Can I change the data representation if I think it is necessary/more convinient for my purpose? e.g. change i32 into u32 or double...

I'll amplify a bit on the absolutely correct advice Fisel supplied.  Do Not mess with any supplied FP object properties except Description & Tip (DO Add them!) and, of course, Value.  Its pointless to have a FP object whos value does not change right?

Now, IF you do find an idea where a supplied FP object's property is less desireable than you want (very possilbe and a common real-world problem) Comment it!  Something like "#Clarify with client. A change of property X would be advantagous for <Reason>"  Thats just good client communication!  Not a bad skill for a CLD to have.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,773 Views)

Just thought of another issue: can I make typedefs of provided front panel objects? Also no?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,761 Views)

Also "Yes" but comment why.  

As a general rule "Do not mess with provided FP Objects except documentation- unless you comment WHY you messed with them or would prefer to mess with them"

And, if you do type def a control / indicator, Flipping change the default icon!  Yes, that is a pet peeve of mine, default icons for type-def controls! Damn, I've seen 10+ year CLAs screw that up!  and "View>>Browse Relationships>>Unopened Type Defs.  becomes a quagmire.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,756 Views)