From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change data representation on the Front Panel in CLD exam

Solved!
Go to solution

I understand that front panel is provided in the CLD exam. Can I change the data representation if I think it is necessary/more convinient for my purpose? e.g. change i32 into u32 or double...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,822 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AuZn

Short answer, no.  The scenario/perspective is you developing an application according to someone else's specs.

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,795 Views)

Thanks. Then I suppose changing mechanical behavior of a bottun is not allowed either?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,781 Views)

Correct, by same logic.

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,774 Views)

@AuZn wrote:

I understand that front panel is provided in the CLD exam. Can I change the data representation if I think it is necessary/more convinient for my purpose? e.g. change i32 into u32 or double...

I'll amplify a bit on the absolutely correct advice Fisel supplied.  Do Not mess with any supplied FP object properties except Description & Tip (DO Add them!) and, of course, Value.  Its pointless to have a FP object whos value does not change right?

Now, IF you do find an idea where a supplied FP object's property is less desireable than you want (very possilbe and a common real-world problem) Comment it!  Something like "#Clarify with client. A change of property X would be advantagous for <Reason>"  Thats just good client communication!  Not a bad skill for a CLD to have.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,768 Views)

Just thought of another issue: can I make typedefs of provided front panel objects? Also no?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,756 Views)

Also "Yes" but comment why.  

As a general rule "Do not mess with provided FP Objects except documentation- unless you comment WHY you messed with them or would prefer to mess with them"

And, if you do type def a control / indicator, Flipping change the default icon!  Yes, that is a pet peeve of mine, default icons for type-def controls! Damn, I've seen 10+ year CLAs screw that up!  and "View>>Browse Relationships>>Unopened Type Defs.  becomes a quagmire.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,751 Views)