From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLED – Sample solution & strategy

Im am practising for the CLED exam and are in the midst of my second practise run.

I have a first idea of strategy for the first half of the practise exam. I want to share these thoughts and if you have feedback, I would appreciate it:

1. Give GUI-development low priority in the first half

Reason: in the exam sheet, we find "The system is intended to be used in a headless fashion, running autonomously with a user interface connected only occasionally..."

-> As the main focus of system is „running without UI“ (and as one can see without UI that RT system works correct when files are generated), I would implement nothing for the UI in the first half, besides thinking about possible communication mechanisms for making proper design decisions.

-> If it happens that I do not have enough time in the second half, I would hope that generally, parts of solution which haven't much in common with RealTime (which in my opinion the GUI is) would not be marked too high.
[ok, it will be marked, but how much? - own example:

in my first try, implementing the FTP mechanism took too much time – I would rather prefer making the RT/FPGA module complete than doing something at FTP (whose implementation i.m.o. woldn't prove RT skill)]

2. FPGA-Code: keep it simple and put as few functionality there as possible/necessary

As it costs time (compiler!) if I have to make changes there, I agree with sample solution and would put in the FPGA code only the things which are really necessary. Even more, I would only make ONE FPGA Main.vi and avoid sub-viing there (sample solution has two non-complex FPGA sub-vis).

Normally, I would prefer to finish the FPGA code at first, but I cannot exclude to make errors there (or for certain functionality, have to add code later). But if I put as few functionality there as possible/necessary, I minimize my risk to loose too much time, if I have to correct errors later. [maybe a psychological issue that I want to have finished FPGA code althogh I could work in parallel when FPGA code compiles]

3. RT-Code: architecture and simple RT features first, then complex RT features, then GUI communication

Structure of sample solution is good: You have do define FIFOs, an error queue and to init the FPGA. Also, the Watchdog loop and the error evaluation loop is not too complex.

→ If I could implement these features in the first half, I won't have to think about this for the rest of exam and will at next implement the acquisition loop. In parallel, I will decide which data with what mechanism should be exchanged with GUI...

Last question:

Until now, some people published their CLD and CLA solutions for review. Is it also allowed to publish an own CLED sample solution?

In the moment, I have an incomplete solution, which only includes the „after-two-hours“-features mentioned above and is similar to given sample solution but in some points different.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,644 Views)

You can definitely post solutions to any sample exam. Just please do not post any information about the actual exam after you take it!

Thanks,
Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,620 Views)

ok, here I am again. As I requested to post an own PARTIAL solution to the CLED sample exam, I do it now:

* FPGA code is quite similar to sample solution (besides that I did not use sub-VIs),
-> so there will be nothing interesting to see
* UI code is NOT implemented (I worked bottom-up and will do that later),
-> so nothing interesting there either

If you want to look at my solution, I recommend to focus on the RT part,
especially the "Settings-Change-Reset-mechanism", which is not covered by NI sample solution:

* RT code:
-RT Main.vi: -> initializes everything and calls the loops
-SP-SVs in RTinternals.lvlib: -> see "Init Shared Vars.vi" for usage
-NP-SVs in UI Comm Library.lvlib: -> for propagating State and Error texts to UI
(done as in sample solution, will be extended later)
-Loops:
*Watch+Error loop: -> similar to sample solution
*Message Loop: until now, we have a UserTrigger and a SettingsChange message from UI
(Settings Change -> update settings variable and signal to "Evaluate External Events.vi")
*Acquire Loop: will have similar structure as sample solution,
until now, only Init state implemented which is reached when user settings change.

If you want to give feedback, I would appreciate it! -
especially on whether my "Settings-Change-Reset-mechanism" would work

or whether there are any other serious bugs.
(only few comments in code as that only worth 5 points, style was in that try not my main focus,
and only partial solution as UI and acquire states not implemented)

Honestly said, thinking and implementing this reset-mechanism (which was not in NI sample solution)

consumed more time than expected (here I still have to do something with my time management) -
but in my opinion it is a feature required by the exam text - so I could not avoid to implement this.
-> If someone has arguments that this mechanism is NOT so important (or not graded high),
feel free to tell it - such arguments may help to decide what is important in real exam.

Message 3 of 4
(6,530 Views)

@daniel @T.Hamberger

Can you review my sample exam code and guide me ??

Regards,
Sathish Kumar A
Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,034 Views)